How to save game

Hello,
I need help figuring out how to save the whole game with data stores in a school group.

For example: A teacher would customize their room with F3X and the game would save when they leave and it would then be available in studio, and when the server restarts.

I’m new to scripting and honestly have zero clue how to do this.
I’ve tried taking a look in other data store scripts inside of toolbox and still can’t seem to figure it out.

1 Like

are you on about saving parts?

Yes, It would save the parts/& scripts in the model

You can turn models into text and save it into a datastore.
E.g if I have the Model as well as the CFrame I can save that data, however instances cannot be saved.

The other ways of doing it are to turn anything and everything into text, meaning all properties (In the case of a building game or game moderation) which can take about 3.5k lines if your lucky

Couldn’t you make a grid system that has a furniture code in it? Like 14 furniture type 1 (lets say chair) facing west? It would cut down on lines and would look like F1r4fF0r0fF1r4fF0r0f this would be a row of 4 columns with chairs on two of the squares, facing west.

To store instances inside of a DataStore for those instances to be persistent (persist across multiple server instances), then you’ll need to serialise that data first into a format (value type) valid for DataStores (those include the primative value types such as strings, tables, numbers for example).

My game includes unions, and meshes and we’ve realized that we’re having troubles with it saving.

I wouldn’t be toying with the DataStore right now. Roblox is down again.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DONT LET HISTORY REPEAT ITSELF