How to set CanCollide to false w/ script? [NO ANSWERS]

Hello so I have this monster and I have this door and I have myself.

My monster chases the players and I got all that down however when the player is behind a door the monster isnt able to reach them

Is there some kind of event I can do with pathmodifier so that when the monster reaches the pathmodifier the monster opens the door or just walks through it?

1 Like

You want to make it so where the Killer can go through doors to find players?

I want it so that the killer doesnt consider doors as objects and makes paths through them. The monster is able to walk through the door but the pathfinding thinks it cant

So, basically Noclip type shi?

the monster already noclips through the doors but doesnt actually ever go through it cause it considers them as obstacles and refuses to walk through them. I am asking how do I make the monster ignore doors and just create paths through them

I tried asking chatGPT

bruh what the heck chatGPT. “Yes you can” but how???

omg

3 Likes

use PhysicsService

local ps = game:GetService("PhysicsService")  -- getting the service

ps:CreateCollisionGroup("NPCGroup") -- creating a group for doors
ps:CreateCollisionGroup("DoorsGroup") -- creating a group to the npc

ps:CollisionGroupSetCollidable("NPCGroup","DoorsGroup", false) -- making them cant collide

local NPC = "put here your npc"

for i,v in pairs(workspace:GetDescendants()) do
	if v.Name == "Door" then -- put this name in every door in your game
		ps:SetPartCollisionGroup(v,"DoorsGroup")
	end
end

for _,v in pairs(NPC:GetDescendants()) do
	if v:IsA("BasePart") then
		ps:SetPartCollisionGroup(v,"NPCGroup")
	end
end

I already have a script for physics service and thats not what I asked. I asked how do I make a monster not consider my door to be an obstacle? even if an object is cancollide the pathfinding still considers it to be an obstacle. I tried using a path modifier with walk through but it doesnt work. Do I have to configure the monster or something.

I made an entire monster ai and prompt manager so can you guys stop assuming I started scripting yesterday?

this is my collisions script:

local playerObstacleCollisionGroupName = "PlayerObstacleCollisionGroup"
local monsterCollisionGroupName = "MonsterCollisionGroup"
game:GetService("PhysicsService"):RegisterCollisionGroup(playerObstacleCollisionGroupName)
game:GetService("PhysicsService"):RegisterCollisionGroup(monsterCollisionGroupName)
game:GetService("PhysicsService"):CollisionGroupSetCollidable(playerObstacleCollisionGroupName, monsterCollisionGroupName, false)

local obstacles = workspace.Obstacles:GetDescendants()
for _, obstacle in ipairs(obstacles) do
	if obstacle:IsA("BasePart") then
		obstacle.CollisionGroup = playerObstacleCollisionGroupName
	end
end

for _, obstacle in ipairs(workspace.Prompts:GetDescendants()) do
	if obstacle:IsA("BasePart") then
		obstacle.CollisionGroup = playerObstacleCollisionGroupName
	end
end

game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(player)
	local character = player.Character or player.CharacterAdded:Wait()
	character:WaitForChild("HumanoidRootPart")
	local parts = character:GetDescendants()
	for _, part in ipairs(parts) do
		if part:IsA("BasePart") then
			part.CollisionGroup = playerObstacleCollisionGroupName
		end
	end
end)

for i,v in pairs(script.Parent:GetDescendants()) do
	if v:IsA("BasePart") then
		v.CollisionGroup = monsterCollisionGroupName
	end
end

and yes the entire door model is inside of the obstacles folder in workspace

This might be what you’re looking for

I don’t know if there are any events that could do this but I found something that might help. Have you tried setting it to CanCollide = false and sending a remove event to all client which makes all the doors locally CanCollide = true?

Ah. There’s actually something that does this: Character Pathfinding | Roblox Creator Documentation

First you need to anchor and set the CanCollide property to false of the part to you want to ignore, in your case, the door. Second, you need to insert a PathFindingModifier instance inside the part. Set the PassThrough property of the PathFindingModifier you added earlier. Now when you recompute the path, it will now ignore the door and walk through it.

the solution was I needed to add the modifier’s label to the param costs

1 Like
script.Parent.CanCollide = false

Done.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.