How to store "special" UTF-8 characters with datastore

Hello! So I am trying to make an encryption system for datastores so I can store larger amounts of data. I learned that datastores use UTF-8 characters, so I looked around a bit, and found this wikipedia page that has an image of all the UTF-8 characters. I was wondering how I would write the ones in red? For example, if I wanted to store the UTF character of “+0”, how would I write that in the string? Thanks!

2 Likes

You wouldn’t. Storing enough information to understand those characters will use up more space than just storing the data on it’s own.

The current DataStore Limit is very high and you shouldn’t need to compress data too much. But if you ever need more you can just use a system that uses multiple keys (each key is 4mb and you can create unlimited keys)

2 Likes

Alright, I was thinking that it meant each one of those characters would use 1 byte. I’m more concerned with the write limit so that when you save the map it doesn’t leave out some stuff in the save.

1 Like

Okay I just did a bit more research and have to correct/add to my first post. You can store special characters in DataStore by using string.char(unicode point), but it still won’t necessarily help you in saving data because special characters can be more than 1 byte.

I would not worry at all about trying to save space. If you are worried about the write limits I would recommend ProfileService which is an op module that pretty much takes care of all DataStore stuff and you never have to worry about it.

Alright thanks! I’ll look into it.

2 Likes