How to use DataStore2 - Data Store caching and data loss prevention

Again, this is a problem with your code, not mine. I can’t do anything with the code sample you provided since there’s literally no instructions anywhere. I would recommend reading the documentation.

I get a error with DataStore2.

Here’s the script.

-- Variables
local DataStore2 = require(1936396537)
local MainKey = "DataStore Attempt1"
DataStore2.Combine(MainKey,"Stats","ClickItems","BackpackItems")

-- Data Table
local function SetDataTable()
	local UserData = {
		Stats = {
			["Clicks"] = 0;
			["Gems"] = 0;
			["Total Clicks"] = 0;
			["Total Gems"] = 0;
			["Total Time Played"] = 0;
		};
		ClickItems = {
			["Wood Click"] = true;
			["Stone Click"] = false;
			["Iron Click"] = false;
			["Gold Click"] = false;
			["Diamond Click"] = false;
			["Emerald Click"] = false;
			["Obsidian Click"] = false;

};
		BackpackItems = {
			["Wood Backpack"] = true;
			["Stone Backpack"] = false;
			["Iron Backpack"] = false;
			["Gold Backpack"] = false;
			["Diamond Backpack"] = false;
			["Emerald Backpack"] = false;
			["Obsidian Backpack"] = false;
		};
	}
end

-- Main
game.Players.PlayerAdded:Connect(function(Player)
	local UserData = DataStore2(MainKey,Player):Get(SetDataTable())

local Leaderstats = Instance.new("Folder")
	Leaderstats.Name = "leaderstats"
	local Stats = Instance.new("Folder")
	Leaderstats.Name = "Stats"

local Clicks = Instance.new("IntValue")
	Clicks.Name = "Clicks"
	local Gems = Instance.new("IntValue")
	Gems.Name = "Gems"

local StatsData = DataStore2("Stats",Player)

local function UpdateStats(UpdatedValue)
		Clicks.Value = StatsData:Get(UpdatedValue).Clicks
		Gems.Value = StatsData:Get(UpdatedValue).Gems
	end

UpdateStats(UserData.Stats) -- Here's the error

StatsData:OnUpdate(UpdateStats)

Leaderstats.Parent = Player
	Stats.Parent = Player
	Clicks.Parent = Leaderstats
	Gems.Parent = Leaderstats
end)
2 Likes
  1. Do not require by ID. The documentation says the only recommended way to get the module is the GitHub release.
  2. SetDataTable() doesn’t return anything, so it is returning nil.
1 Like

Probably this already has been asked under all these thousands of posts but I will ask again.

Is there a way to check if the player already has data saved upon joining?

Am I able to somehow modify a player’s data while they are not in the server?

1 Like

I’m not sure what your goal here is, is this not solved with :Get()?

No. Nobody has made a contribution yet to add this functionality.

1 Like

Well, actually, by using @Crazyman32’s DataStore Editor (150 R$), accompanied by this special method of modifying DataStore2’s, you could modify a player’s data.

EDIT: updated method link for editing DS2

2 Likes

@Kampfkarren How do I do a data wipe for Datastore2? This is mainly for testing*

1 Like

If I may respond, I would suggest simply adding a function that, when you turn it on, sets all a player’s values to 0 or nil. Normally you have something that checks for data inside your data setup script, so you know when to create new data for a player without any, or when to load existing data for a player who has it. This function however, when applied would check for people who have data, and if they do, iterate through it and set it to 0, then use your normal saving method, or remove the data keys from their DataStore table, just make sure to restrict new data from being added.
To recap.
Check if a player has data (As you will already have done in order to have a functioning datastore system.)
If they have data, erase it.
If they don’t have data, then do nothing.
Test it out. Voila immediate wiping of existing player’s data whenever they join.

2 Likes

DataStore Editor got an update, so I updated the tutorial on saving DataStore2 Data. Essentially same method, but different way of going about it.

2 Likes

I’m confused on how to use this does DataStore2:Increment(1) Get it or do i need to call :Get also is it possible saving tables because i have an inventory module i made with the function .getPlayerInventory(Player) I want to override this with the saved table can someone show me an example with them saving a table?

1 Like

@Kampfkarren How do I convert my datastore into datastore2 without losing data? Currently, my datastore handles saving between 2 places and also updating the game leaderboards. So how do I convert it to datastore2 still retaining everything I have now?

1 Like

downloaded the script do i put it in server script service?

1 Like

I can’t use this for some reason, I keep getting errors.
First, I tried using String values, and this error appeared (don’t mind the module name, I made all of my scripts with these “encrypted” names):
Cattura
The line of code I used here is a simple dataHairs:Set(hairsID.Value)

Then, I had to do a LOT of work to take ALL the string values and make them into Int values and, guess what, this error appeared:
Cattura

I wonder what I’m doing wrong. I looked up at a couple of tutorials online and they seem to work.

Edit: Just noticed the second error appears when I use String Values too, and forgot to mention it appears when the player leaves the game, while the first error appears when the player clicks the button to save.

1 Like

The error you are getting is pretty explicit. Don’t use :GetTable if the default value isn’t a table.

1 Like

Hey, i’ve ran into some difficulties using this module, please take a look at the topic i posted it would help a ton. DataStore2 Help - #6 by AmbitiousAmateur

1 Like

I wasn’t using “:GetTable” but the normal “:Get”. I found out the error is that the FIRST element in the DSS2.Combine is saved as table instead of a value, for some weird reason. I wasn’t understanding what was the problem cause ALL values were saving except the first one. So I just made a “glitchedTable” value as the first element and put everything after that, and everything saved as value, except the first one that saved as a table. Thanks anyways, I guess?

2 Likes

I have problem with data clearing after i setting data to nil it wont save it. its saving only edited data. and new created one.

1 Like

After my own system backfired miserably, I will be migrating Crazy Stairs to DataStore2. Thank you so much for this module mate.
Edit: Update is now live, I will post feedback soon.

1 Like

I have this while loop that increments a datastore up 1 every 60 seconds, but when I join the game it works for me however when someone joins it will work for them and not me, anybody knows what’s the problem?

1 Like

Is a data history possible for this? Since I have a loop that occurs every 60 seconds, would it be wise to fit all the data such as coinStore or pointsStore into an array? and that should keep history of their data in case i ever need to roll back for whatever reason or there a cleaner way to achieve this?

1 Like