How to use OOP inheritance?

I’m learning OOP and created a base-class (AnimalClass) and have sub-classes inheriting from the base class (Dog, Cat, Penguin)

I see two different ways to do it, and am not sure which one is the better way. If anyone could give me some clarification, I would appreciate it a lot

Sub-Class ModuleScript (Dog)

Version 1

local AnimalClass = require(script.Parent)
local DogClass = {}
DogClass.__index = DogClass
setmetatable(DogClass, AnimalClass)

function DogClass.new(name, age)
	local dog = setmetatable({}, DogClass)

dog.Name = name
	dog.Age = age

return dog
end

function DogClass:Bark()
	print(self.Name, "is barking!")
end

return DogClass

Version 2

local AnimalClass = require(script.Parent)
local DogClass = setmetatable({}, AnimalClass)
DogClass.__index = DogClass

function DogClass.new(name, age)
	local dog = setmetatable(AnimalClass.new(name, age), DogClass)

return dog
end

function DogClass:Bark()
	print(self.Name, "is barking!")
end

return DogClass

Base Class (Animal)

local AnimalClass = {}
AnimalClass.__index = AnimalClass

function AnimalClass.new(name: string, age: number)
	local animal = setmetatable({}, AnimalClass)

animal.Name = name
	animal.Age = age

return animal
end

function AnimalClass:Eat(food: string)
	print(self.Name, "is eating", food)
end

function AnimalClass:IncreaseAge()
	self.Age += 1
	print(self.Name, "is", self.Age, "years old")
end

return AnimalClass

Second would be better as in that case you would be inheriting the properties from AnimalClass. You wouldn’t want to have to rewrite the properties if you don’t have to.

1 Like

So I could delete the AnimalClass.new() function since the sub-classes would handle it?

You would keep both constructors, then call the inherited class’s constructor in the subclass constructor, it’s this version you’d keep:

Note that in this version, you aren’t explicitly rewriting the properties that will be present in all the AnimalClass objects (you aren’t writing dog.Name, dog.Age…); it’s the inherited class (AnimalClass) that does this work

The only properties you’d explicitly write in the dogClass constructor are the properties that are specific to the dogClass (say if you had a property like “BarksLoudly” or something like that, that would only be present in your dog class, then you could reference this property inside of your dogClass methods [dogClass:Bark()])

2 Likes

Oh, sorry I misread what you said. That makes sense, thank you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just want to point something out in the first version, I think you’re not properly setting the __index metamethod of the DogClass, so in the first example, some bugs may occur.

Also, this thread might help you out if you’re a beginner in OOP: All about Object Oriented Programming
There’s also a handy module that you can use to make your OOP experience easier:
Class++ | Classes and OOP made easy and powerful with Access Specifiers, function overloading and more!

1 Like

Okay, I’m gonna use the second method because of what @7z99 said, so I’m just gonna delete the first one altogether

I’ll check both of the links out when I have more time later, thank you!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.