How would I disable the chat box, but not the bar where people type?

In my game, I made a custom chat system, where it shows people’s chats. I want the box which displays the chat to not be visible, while the chat bar is. If you do
game.StarterGui:SetCoreGuiEnabled(“Chat”, false)
then it disables both at the same time. How would I disable the box, but not the bar?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I got rid of the box and still had the chat bar to write in by changing the ChatSettings in ClientChatModules located in game.Chat.

What I would do is press the test button, then copy everything in chat.
Then paste it back into the game.Chat and go ClientChatModules → ChatSettings.

At line 26 to 28 you should see something like this:

--- Replace with true/false to force the chat type. Otherwise this will default to the setting on the website.
module.BubbleChatEnabled = PlayersService.BubbleChat
module.ClassicChatEnabled = PlayersService.ClassicChat

Then go ahead and replace module.ClassicChatEnabled = PlayersService.ClassicChat with module.ClassicChatEnabled = false and make sure module.BubbleChatEnabled is set to true.

The replacement of line 26 - 28 should look like this:

--- Replace with true/false to force the chat type. Otherwise this will default to the setting on the website.
module.BubbleChatEnabled = true
module.ClassicChatEnabled = false

Doing this you force the classic chat box to be off while still having the chat bar appear.

Here’s an image of how it looks for me when I do this. As you see on the picture, I still have the chatbar available without looking at any chat box.

Summary

1 Like

Forking the whole chat system to modify one item is not a smart idea. I wouldn’t fork the chat at all actually. You can accomplish this same thing in far less steps. All you need is a LocalScript and a connection to the ChatService.

local Chat = game:GetService("Chat")

Chat:RegisterChatCallback(Enum.ChatCallbackType.OnCreatingChatWindow, function()
    return {
        BubbleChatEnabled = true,
        ClassicChatEnabled = false,
    }
end)

Recommended to place this in ReplicatedFirst.

28 Likes