How would I make my own inventory system?

As I scrolled through devforums and countless YouTube videos, I noticed one thing.

There was a lack of inventory systems.

So I’m asking you, whoever stopped at this topic, how can I make my own inventory system? I know how to do the server-side things, but how would I implement the client-side logic?

Of course, I won’t be asking you to design the entire thing, I just want the basic how-tos.

3 Likes

Honestly, haven’t made one in a bit but If I were to make one now, Id…

Make sure that of course the server has the inventory but also the client has a copy of the inventory as well, this can make interactions feel more responsive when a player wants to do an action andd of course you can verify it after

After that it’s just really rendering the items you have in the inventory and usually youd want to use like a dictionary because thats super easy to manage

But yeah they aren’t as hard as some people may think, good luck hope this helped!

2 Likes

So the server just sends the inventory data? And I should let the server handle picking up to protect from exploiters?

2 Likes

When a player joins, fire a remote to the server and get inventory data. For my inventory system, the table that is returned to me is just a table containing IDs of items.

These IDs are stored in a ModuleScript in ReplicatedStorage which I then use to get further data of the IDs in my inventory and other items in general (shop for example):

module = {}

module.items= {

[1] = { -- info for ID = 1
		["name"] = "Beautiful Hair",
		["type"] = "Hat",
		["rarity"] = "Common",
		["image"] = "",
	};
};
return module

Whenever I want to swap the inventory item slots or equip an item, I fire a remote to the server with the slots I want to swap or slot I want to equip. When I equip for instance, I validate on the server whether the slot that was sent to equip contains an item or not, equip it and return back to the client to update the UI.

2 Likes

I want to make a pick-up system for my inventory system, but I have no idea what to do for this. How should I implement this?

1 Like

You simply add the ID of the item you’re trying to pick up to your inventory table and send this added item to the client (including slot position, so the index the item is in the table). To handle this locally, use this ID you got from the server to get the rest of the item data from the table located in the ReplicatedStorage I was talking to visually add your item to inventory.

1 Like

Here is how I would do it: Once the player interacts with the objects (i.e. triggers a mouse detector), fire a remote event to the server letting them know that the player wants to pick up an item. The server runs some sanity checks, checking if the item actually exists and the distance between the player and the item. Once everything is good server side, you would delete the item and add it to the players inventory. I’ll attach an example of a (really basic) inventory I made a while ago, feel free to reference.
inventory.rbxl (61.2 KB)

2 Likes

yo dude just watch this YouTube Vid I highly recommend this coz he explains everything very well and uses ProfileService instead of using Data Store and trust me its easy to use and customize

2 Likes