How would I simulate throwing a ball?

Hey developers, I recently ran into an issue that I couldn’t find an answer for on the internet(surprising ik).

Anyway, I was wondering how I might go about simulating a ball being thrown similar to real life, like affected by gravity and stuff. Any ideas on how I would do this? Any objects I should look into? Any threads that I may not have seen that would help me out?

(not asking for a script here, just want to be pointed in the right direction)

1 Like

You can use a Body Velocity to propel the ball forward. BodyVelocity | Roblox Creator Documentation

Basically you create a body velocity, make it in the direction of the player.

This tutorial is similar to what you want. FIREBALL MAGIC - Scripting Tutorial (Roblox) - YouTube

2 Likes

Thanks! I’ll check this out and see if it helps(it seems it most likely will)

1 Like

If you want to “Simulate” Motion of an object, EgoMoose has a nice Article on it. Modeling a projectile's motion
It is a bit complex though.

1 Like

He was asking for a way to make a ball launch like throwing it. I like your idea but I don’t think he wan’t to graph or model the motion.

I thought they we’re asking for an accurate simulation due to them mentioning simulating a ball being affected by gravity and “stuff”.

You will need to do more than just apply BodyVelocity to accurately simulate a ball being thrown because the fall path is a parabola.

You can use a body velocity. Have it pointed towards the sky, put alot of velocity for a small amount of time and let roblox’s physics handle the rest

Anything to do using bodymovers should have the part’s network owner as the player to prevent laggy movement.

Roblox gravity will not simulate terminal velocity for falling objects I think. Since OP is asking for an accurate simulation it would be necessary.