How would you access DataStores from outside of the game?

I don’t understand your exact goal here, can you specific your goal a little more?

1 Like

I want to change player stats outside of roblox.

2 Likes

You mean you wanna update people’s data without having them inside your game?

2 Likes

Maybe by using HTTP Service and making a table that Is relative to the site? It would need a website tho or some other source.

3 Likes

Yes exactly! Good explanation!

1 Like

You can literally update any Data at anytime. You just need a datakey that’s related to that data.

2 Likes

How would I go about thing that though?

1 Like

so uhhh, Lets see…
What’s a point of requiring module?

It’s currently 1:10 Am and i’m about go to bed so, maybe by your luck you could find someone instead of me. Good bye

1 Like

Okay, Well thank you for your help I really appreciate it.

2 Likes

Maybe by sending some sort of request to an offsite server and updating data on offsite database like mongodb or something else.

1 Like

You are using datastore2. DataStore2 is player-based, which means you need a player instance in order to read/write to data. Just use regular data stores.

2 Likes

Sorry for the bump

You can actually go inside Roblox Studio and use @Crazyman32’s DataStore Editor to change any Player’s Data without having to be In-Game to do it. It’s so simple and easy to use!

Its located here:

He has also made a tutorial on how to use it (Which is located in the description of the Plugin).

(Personally, it’s a lovely Plugin. Dont regret buying it at all :+1: )

9 Likes

I’d recommend using Firebase or using a Trello API to access the datastore from outside roblox, I mean on another site.

1 Like

I just got the plugin and watching the tutorial but I guess I’m just too new to Datastores… I used the sample save data from Roblox so I don’t even know the name and scope of my data. I am reading/writing/saving data properly from within my game, but I just don’t know the name of the database itself since I copy pasted from the Roblox sample here: Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

Any guidance would be great

Thanks,
rich

1 Like

You could use MessagingService. But i can’t show more information because i dont know enough about you’re issue here.

So you can setup a server, have it host something like json, have a js script change the content of the json file, and in roblox you can check the json file, this is an easy way I would use other things but for you, I’d recommend this. Not really efficient but works.

1 Like

You can use fire base to do that

1 Like

This will help you using the firebase

1 Like

Sorry for bringing this back, the only plausible way I’ve found is to use google sheets as a external datastore, seeing that this one didn’t have a solution yet, I posted here.
Anyways there are a few resources on devforum for using Google Sheets as a datastore and should solve all your problems!

1 Like

Idk if im right but, if you want the ban a player without having them to join the game, I think you can

1. create datastore called “Ban_List” then:

2. Make a script/function/command… that whenever you wanna ban someone you find and take their UserID (it could be during game or you can search them on the website) then store it to this “Ban_List”

=> so whenever the game runs it will automatically search through this “Ban_List” and prevent players that carry those UserID (from the “Ban_List”) to join the game.

==> Basically the idea is , instead of using a normal table to add in the UserID by hand every single time, you can just use whatever admin command that you have that can send a signal to a server (includes parameters such as (player, player.UserID,…)) → then from there the server (automatically) stores that player.UserID to the “Ban_List” through some sort of function/command/script…, even when the game is running

and Please correct me if I’m wrong because I am still new to this DataStore and currently learning, it’s just my idea

1 Like