HTTP Service fails to connect

My game uses a separately hosted database for some information that’s key to gameplay across servers. I’ve noticed lately that some servers fail to connect to the url at all while others running at the same time work fine.

Are there any ideas why this seems to happen? I get no errors on the external server’s end that would cause this. It doesn’t make sense that three servers can be active at the same time, two send and receive without any issues, but one never connects at all.

3 Likes

It could be an error with roblox but I mainly think the problem is this one server not roblox

Are you getting errors on Roblox’s side then? You should try capturing these errors using pcall and logging them somehow. Those errors usually have enough detail to get a basic understanding of the issue (e.g. if it’s on Roblox’s end or the external server’s end).

Are you using SSL/HTTPS? If so, thats why. SSL does not work reliably at all on roblox.

Are you using the old HttpService APIs? I’d give the new HttpService:RequestAsync a shot if you haven’t tried yet, they may have fixed it for https

It’s currently enabled but undocumented, so check this public announcement out

Yes I am. I wasn't aware that they'd updated the API, so I'll look into it.

No, I had kind of assumed they wouldn't when I started, and I haven't had much success using HTTPS requests on the external server anyways. This project only uses regular HTTP requests.

Yes it's only on roblox's side that I get anything. I meant to do this before asking, but unfortunately the error is unpredictable and somewhat rare. I am trying to recreate the issue after setting up the logging for it. I will post the full error message when I get a chance.

2 Likes

Actually, more questions, are you using a shared host? or are you running your own VPS/dedicated server to handle the traffic?

A lot of the times, shared hosts can be bad (At least in my experience, even paid)

It’s my own ubuntu based server, but hosted through Google Cloud. Although the processor size is rather small, it seems to have been able to handle all of the demand so far.

have you fixed it? I’ve a dedicated server with a webserver in node.js that manages a mongoDB database. Sometimes roblox isn’t able to comunicate to my server…