Https://devforum.roblox.com/t/give-developers-a-fair-devex-rate/278389

@cind_r

While I agree with you on different points (as my original post shows) I disagree on other points.

The free servers is definitely a huge thing, Huge, and certainly shouldn’t be forgotten or ignored.

But the thing with the Engines, EVERY engine needs some modifications to work for specific games. A good engine is easy-to-use (Roblox got that mostly right :+1: )
but after that you must consider the toolset; Whether it’s Roblox Studio, or Unity, whenever you have an engine that’s tries to be more open-ended in what kind of games you have, the more shallow the toolset. And you can see that with Roblox Studio.

• I was recently reading a Kotaku article about Bioware’s troubles with the Frostbite engine, and the big problem was that the engine wasn’t made for making RPGs. They had to make the toolsets for having a save system, the leveling up, and all the various little tidbits by themselves, and then make sure it’s Up-To-Date with the latest build of FrostBite. . . And it was a complete headache for them the entire time.
    And you sorta have a similar thing with Roblox Studio, if you wanted to make a sandbox physics game that simply utilized whatever Roblox already has, you’re set. But anything else requires you to build your own toolset (or get one that another person made before you, same with Unity btw.)

And about the other platforms, Yeah roblox has specific advantages, but I have to add that other platforms also have their own. . . It’s almost a tradeoff in many places, for example, I don’t really like the current front page for Game on the Roblox site. I much prefer what Steam or Itch has. Either of those platforms allow you to Find games you’d like to play a lot easier then Roblox ever has, even back when you could look by genres. (And that made it easier for Devs)

Thanks for the discussion though! I was wondering if the whole DevEx conversation was going to be dead now :smile:

Perhaps you’re right about the what the numbers should be.
But I won’t change it in the actual suggestion(s) until @Roblox gives us some REAL transparency (rather then the bandaid version) and gives us some in-depth information

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 1 minute. New replies are no longer allowed.

Please privately message the user you are speaking to, rather than creating a new topic in reply to their post.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Give developers a fair DevEx rate