Is manipulating your statistics a violation of guidelines?

This is just a hypothetical question, and I ask it because this may or may not go against guidelines. I will never do this ok

Would it be against the rules to go on an alt, or get your family/friends/ect to like your posts?
And/or using alts to get replies marked as solutions?

If it is, would there be punishment. Of course I wouldn’t do it because what do I say when I have 5585585858 likes from the same person. I don’t really benefit. So I asked just incase if I see it.

1 Like

If anything, it falls under common sense. Falsely inflating your like count is a really scummy thing to do, but I don’t think that anyone would necessarily punish you for it.

5 Likes

I don’t even know why this is a hypothetical question in the first place. There is no rule against this but I don’t see the point. It’s scummy (as pointed out above), it’s a waste of time and there’s no merit in DevForum stats aside from feeling good about yourself. It says nothing about your credibility, chances towards promotions or anything at all.

I mean, look at me. I’m no Top Contributor.

5 Likes

It is often (or all the time) falling under what is commonly called “unspoken rules”.

And yes it is frowned upon, and I belive you aren’t allowed to have an alt on the DevForum, but using a friend/colleague/family relative or whatever to like your own posts is considered “shilling”, which is also frowned upon.

Just to make it overly clear: yes, you will get reprimanded for any abnormal forum usage like that. The forum rules topic does not contain an exhaustive list of rules, and you are expected to use common sense beyond that for cases that are not specifically described but should be regarded as obvious.

1 Like