I feel like I’m not learning any thing

You can write your topic however you want, but you need to answer these questions:
I want to learn lua and other coding languages

I’ve been using lua for the past week and have been looking up projects for me to do and I did the exact thing and every project was a success but I feel like I still know nothing and I just did all of that for nothing

i think this is the correct category as it’s about scripting correct me and I’ll change it

A better board might be #lounge:off-topic , but I’m not sure if you can access that.

If you want to continue learning Lua then do so. If you’re not having fun, but you still want to learn Lua, keep going. If you’re not having fun, don’t want to continue, then don’t.

Lots of people don’t like the “give up” mentality, but its an option that you should be allowed to take.

Here are some resources with plenty of viewpoints:

1 Like

Unfortunately learning lua, or any programming language, takes time. I wish you could memorize all the syntax in a week, but it’s just not possible. Don’t feel discouraged if you don’t feel like you have progressed. As long as you keep doing projects, and trying new things, you are on the right track! Just keep on trying! That feeling of comprehension and full understanding takes time. The more you continue to practice, the more what you have learned will start to seep in.

In terms of advice, I would recommend you think of a specific small project you want to create, and the focus on that.

You learn best when you are working on something you enjoy.

Good luck on your scripting journey!

3 Likes

To be honest my brain pushes out the thought of learning to code because people won’t view me as a normal person idk why I think that but thanks for the help!

2 Likes

I’m not a scripter and I’m not at all interested in learning how to script, but if there’s one thing I’ve learned about game development and through what little coding experience I’ve had, it’s that it’s not about remembering the exact syntax for a particular thing, it’s about problem solving. I always look up tutorials and documentation if I ever need to add some simple code, what’s key is that you must recognize a problem and assess it, and solve it through any means. You might feel like you aren’t learning sometimes and you will definitely want to give up. This kind of stuff is hard and it takes a long time to get good, and years to become a master, but slowly but surely, you will get better as long as you don’t give up. There’s always a way to solve any problem and you will improve with every problem you solve.

the really hard part is doing it in the most efficient way possible lol

1 Like

Great insight. I feel like the key words here are, “'about problem solving”. Becoming a good scripter is just as much about knowing where to find the information that you need, as it is knowing the syntax off hand. You can create amazing things by using the internet, and other people’s questions, as a guide.

Clearly, if your projects went well, you learned many things! Don’t think you didn’t learn anything. Coding has so many fundamentals for you to learn! If you think you aren’t learning anything, learn more! Watch scripting tutorials! GUI tutorials! DataStore tutorials! Keep learning about LUA as long as you’re passionate about it. There are endless things for you to learn in Roblox. If you feel scripting isn’t your thing, perhaps give something else a try! Try something new and you’ll learn more from that. For example, instead of scripting, you could try making a GFX or build something in Studio! Don’t ever feel like you aren’t learning anything because you can always learn more. Keep going!

Never give up, you can! :relaxed:

Lots of posts like this one – look up other posts before making a topic!