I’m struggling because I’m making this game by myself. I don’t have motivation and I’m lost

Bloxy roads is a game centered around the experience of driving at high speeds through insane courses while avoiding deadly traps along the map.

https://www.roblox.com/games/4519631442/Bloxy-Roads

I’m worried cause the time it takes me to build a car is like 2-3 hours. I just don’t have the motivation or the creative energy.

Making big maps takes me about 20 hours. Split each day 4 hours.

I don’t know what to do.

Everything feels lost. Also I look back and it’s exactly how I dreamed of this game.

3 Likes

I wasn’t really sure what you were asking but I guess you want to know what to do. I would try to find why you wanted to make it and what you could do to make it more fun for you. You can always come back to it later if you really can’t go on.

You might want to consider hiring devs with %, I’m also solo deving a gme right now and it’s tough. Luckily I designed my game in a way that it doesn’t need much building or modelling, the map is terrain which I’m good at making.

1 Like

If you’re losing motivation or struggling with certain things, there are a lot of factors and resources that you could find that may motivate you or your team, since you are working by yourself on a large game project, if you’re losing motivation take a break or two and relax to motivate yourself for the following week or day. I would try finding partners that have motivated in the project gather a team.

If you’re unable to gather partners or a team in general find inspiration in other projects, try not spending hours creating a single object break it down into tiny, easy, pieces then proceed and find ways to continue with your game project.

You also should consider working on something small. Just take some time creating models related to the game project to keep things fresh. ‘Breaks’ are important as that may be to resolve your problem. There is more information regarding around (How to stay motivated or Starting to lose motivation for my game project) you could always research these problems.

thank you. I just added fresh updates and the game is very clean and working nicely.

1 Like

You should try hiring a second developer. Then maybe they can help you build cars while you can make maps or vice versa?

I tried your game a bit ago! It’s amazing so far! Great start of a game and great concept, too!

If you wanted some help I’d be willing to assist you! I may just be a scripter in learning but I have been building on Roblox since early 2017, feel free to add me on Discord if you want to see some of the stuff I have created but no pressure if you don’t want to. Aensvey#2799
(and no I’m not asking for any money)

Then try making a plugin which helps streamline your workflow, a plugin which helps you build cars for your specific game, surely there’s similar things between all your cars. For example all cars might have an engine part, try making a template builder which has prebuilt stuff into it such as the ‘engine’.

Plan on paper.

It may be a weird suggestion, but it helps.

I’ve noticed that my motivation for making games has increased significantly if I plan on a piece of paper. I plan for what I’m going to do, what I’m going to create, you get it. Basically making the game on paper, and creating my idea.

If that doesn’t help, mess around with building things. Either it’s your block set, 3D models and shapes, etc, you might get inspired. You can also try out messing around on a baseplate. Whenever I do that, inspiration strikes me.

You can also write a brief description of the game on paper like this. You may feel lost because you don’t know what to do, how to start, what comes next, or even the basics of the gameplay.

• What genre is my game?
  • How do players play my game?
  • What is the goal in my game?
  • What are the rules of the game?
  • What would be the name of the game?
  • What describes the game in two sentences?
  • Will my game get boring quickly?

Still Stuck? Read below.

You have come to the point of the reply for if you’re still stuck. If you’ve completely lost motivation and none of the above work, just quit or take a break.

A game should be fun and interesting to work on. Not that 9-5 shift spamming computer keys.

If you don’t find interest and passion in making the game, it’s not a good fit game for you to work on. Over time, you will get bored, lose passion, lousily work on the game, and eventually give up.

This is what happens to many of us. Lose inspiration. Go places that inspire you. Come up with ideas, if that doesn’t work out, just quit. There is no point in doing something you don’t enjoy or find enthusiasm in, you’re wasting your time doing something you don’t enjoy for hours instead of happily working on something you like.

My final answer for you is to quit. Passion finds it’s way into what you do. If passion in the game is confused, quit or take a break.

Quack, TL;DR.

Fine, I write extremely long things. In two sentences, here’s what I said instead of an entire college application length reply.

Quit if you don’t enjoy working on the game. You could be wasting time doing something you enjoy.

1 Like

If you lost motivation on a project, it’s probably not you. You’re probably that you’ve exceeded the expectations or objectives you had while completing the game.

Maybe try creating a project based off of the game with improved graphics. Also try listening to feedback and ideas from your fanbase because they’re the ones who want to see your game succeed the most.

I know this comment is off topic but I relate to the title 100%, I wish you the best of luck in the future :blush: