How does one assess the value of a product?

So I’ve recently made some UI’s on ROBLOX and would like to know how much these would be valued (individually) as well as any feedback (Note that these are based on League Of Legends):

https://gyazo.com/4bf55e3af05c8451b8c42497ec18a2cd (PLEASE PRESS THIS LINK AS WELL)

https://gyazo.com/0f58bddf7eae2a7654d37faf592cad92

External Media

EDIT: All Images are not created by me; I’ve simply taken them an edited them and placed them together. I did not create any images you see.

3 Likes

That character selection screen is pretty fancy :wink:

I generally don’t try to value individual UI components the pricing would be better to consider from the perspective of doing the UI for an entire game (in which case you can also get a percentage, which is arguably fairer than getting paid once). The value will also be modified by other factors that we cannot determine from the given pictures or videos, such as how the elements scale on different resolutions and how they are structured (for performance and scripting).

One useful method of calculating price is converting Robux to USD at lowest DevEx rate ($100k R = $350 USD) and then basing that off of a desired hourly wage. For example, 1 hour at $5 USD per hour
would be around $1.4k R per hour. Be aware that time spent is not everything – the years spent learning of course also apply, as well as the things I mentioned in the previous paragraph – however for the following calculations I will mostly just use this time-based method of calculating value.

If you’d like formulas:
Robux = (USD / 350) * 100,000
USD = (Robux / 100,000) * 350

Since that first component, the skill/status bar, appears to be fairly static than I wouldn’t value it very highly. Assuming you spent an hour, you perhaps would like to sell it somewhere in the range of that example calculation I gave above.

The character selection screen appears to use some scripting, but that would have taken time to make so we don’t need to factor that in to our calculations as it will be anyway. Let’s say this took you 2.5 hours to make, using the above calculations we can say that it might be valued at $3.5k R.

That final screen you showed is quite interesting; out of all of them it definitely has the highest value. I will let you calculate that one using the time based method :wink:

Hopefully those help you out – note however that these figures are highly debatable, and are also unaffordable for a lot of newer developers, so ultimately how much you actually want to value your UI work at is up to you! :smile: :point_right:

2 Likes

Why thank you, I’ll definitely keep these factors in mind but my real question is how much would you buy this for assuming the scripting is part of the UI since it does create the effects.

1 Like

If I was unable to create these myself I would happily purchase them for any amount perhaps up to double the calculations I gave. So pretty much $3k R and $7k R for the first three.

This is from a high-budget perspective. Many people (including myself at the moment haha) wouldn’t be able to afford it.

1 Like

At first when I saw the gifs, I thought it was just some random game from steam that and you were trying to fool people into believe you made until I saw the Roblox cursor and menu. Holy cow, these are some of the best GUI’s that I’ve ever seen.

When it comes to understanding the value, you have to account of the backwards compatibility and the fact that this probably goes against copyright law. Does those GUIs scale correctly on all platforms?

If it scales right I’d say its worth around 50k Robux, if not 30k. If it was all original assets it’d probably worth around 100k.

1 Like

Those UI elements look SWEET! I would love to play a demo game with them to see how they feel. :slight_smile: