Improved CFrame support in Studio

Thank god, slowly whittling down that “death by a thousand cuts” list of UX issues.

I can finally delete the muscle memory I have for storing camera CFrame into a value object for my thumbnail system.

6 Likes

Hello there! This is an awesome feature, however, I’d like to make a suggestion. As you know, CFrame can be written in a variety of ways such as:

• position, lookAt
  • position, orientation
  • components
  • matrix
  • etc

I believe there should be a studio setting that can change which way the CFrames are seen in the properties tab! Let me know what you think! This makes it easier to edit CFrames depending on the task at hand.

10 Likes

I actually like this idea.
I just hope it can be implemented in a non-confusing way that does not bloat the properties tab with lots of buttons.

But maybe a dropdown menu for this would be useful?
I could see myself using the lookAt property to make a object point towards something.

9 Likes

Excellent quality of life update. I was quietly experimenting with something like this back when I was a summer intern in 2018 but never brought it forward. Happy to finally see it happen after all these years.

It’d be cool if there was an optional axis visualizer in the scene view when interacting with a CFrame property, sort of like how the legacy surface properties highlight the selected surface when you select one of their properties.

8 Likes

I must say, that’s pretty helpful right here. No more need to do the calculations my self. Nice one here team!

5 Likes

I have no doubt in my mind that something will be massively broken soon, if it’s not already. The new window editor has some critical bugs in it as it is so maybe that’s the price we pay.

5 Likes

This is a cool change, but I wish typing “Position” would still display the position property, rather than no results.

8 Likes

Now that CFrames are exposed to Properties window, is there a way we can grab the position/orientation of C0 and C1 by script? In Motor6Ds, trying to grab C1’s rotation still requires workarounds like :ToOrientation() instead of being able to directly grab the C1’s orientation instead…

3 Likes

This update caught me off guard lol

So, what I’m getting is that in scripts, Vector3 and CFrame are still separate types of data, while in the Properties window, they’re displayed as the same thing? Is that correct?

I have several scripts in a testing place that use both Vector3 and CFrame, and I’d like to know if I need to change anything or not. (I’m guessing no, but it doesn’t hurt to check)

3 Likes

Two words: Thank. You.
This is so helpful!

4 Likes

Quite a convenient update! Well done!

4 Likes

While this update is sort of convenient, I’m not entirely for this idea of abstracting CFrames since it’s sort of misleading of the API.

Position and Orientation are both valid properties for BasePart, but they are listed under CFrame as CFrame.Position and CFrame.Orientation. This can be confusing because you can’t write to CFrame.Position and CFrame.Orientation downright doesn’t exist.

Origin is also a very strange tab to add because Origin isn’t actually a property but rather an abstract value that serves only for viewing in studio. PivotOffset suffers a similar issue where the two editable values are packed inside a tab that’s packed into another tab, making it unnecassarily packed.

I can understand where the studio team wants to go with this (Easy CFrame manipulation from Studio), but I don’t think that’s such a problem with instances like BaseParts as it is with others like Motor6Ds and Tools.

I think changes like these, even if as mild as this, should always be given proper community feedback before being shipped. For me it’s nice to have the properties straight down instead of indented since I have astigmatism.

14 Likes

holy crap this is what I was thinking when I read the post, things are becoming too easy and the time we spent went to waste trying to figure out stuff on cframing

Things are becoming too easy now :sob:

3 Likes

This is a really nice update, as I’ve always wanted to be able to use CFrame properties in the property window rather than through a script.

3 Likes

oh my god finally c0 and c1 along with being able to edit the cameras cframe directly???
this is literally the best update for studio next to the new icons, docking, ik solver, and new textures update

4 Likes

Finally, I’ve been waiting for this for long time! It’ll be very useful.

2 Likes

This honestly makes it easier to do CFrame Animations for certain stuff. Thanks for the update!

3 Likes

Hell yeah, CFrame in attributes! I’ve been waiting for that for so long, glad it’s finally here! Really REALLY good update.

2 Likes

It’s wonderful that we’re getting more transparency in Studio now! I look forward to using this.

2 Likes

Hey, this is such a great update for everyone that wants to know what’s exactly happening in their game, the only caveat I see that the property is expanded by default and when it isn’t expanded it takes too much width of the property inspector, I would like to see a [...] when it isn’t expanded and making it not expanded by default.

1 Like