Improved DevHub Search

This is a much better update, and I can get to results much quicker.

Now the search option is better, but how smart it actually is and the results it gave needs to be improved.

I can search for MeshPart but instead of giving the main page about meshparts(what it is and how to use it) it gives the properties of MeshPart for example MeshPart.MeshID instead of just giving me the main article.

I will have to browse a while before finding the main article.

Other than that this search feature is much better and requires less loading now.

3 Likes

Impressive. Now if only this update would migrate onto the normal roblox site and not just on devhub :frowning:

5 Likes

Is there a way to revert it? I like that it is changing but I prefer the old one myself.

4 Likes

There’s a really annoying bug / issue with the new search bar. If you start typing very quickly after clicking the search bar (which I do because I’m a keyboard ninja), the first few characters of your query end up in the old search bar and the rest in the new search bar.

Here’s me typing “Query” into the search bar real fast:

Mu4Jbm7f4N

Ended up searching for “uery” :frowning: It might not be visible, but the Q is in the old search text field.

Also, I’d love it if the search box behind the new search window was somewhere along the top middle of the page, so I don’t have to move my mouse from allllll the way up in the upper right corner to somewhere in the middle of the page when I want to select a search result.

I’d love it even more if I could navigate the search results with arrow keys and select one with return/space bar.

Also also I’d love it even even more if I could focus/bring up the search box on the wiki with a keyboard shortcut :star2:

10 Likes

HUGE improvement love it

Some kind of ranking system for the search results would be nice. From the screenshot in the OP, the second result is a method that’s been deprecated for probably a decade

This looks like text input box, but it now acts as a button. The style of it should be changed to be more like a button

5 Likes

MUCH better than before. The previous search was horrendous

3 Likes

This doesn’t position itself very well on mobile devices.

A suggestion is do what other mobile apps do, lets take the iOS setting menu

Instead of appearing in a modal dialog, the search query fills the entire screen with a list of options scaled small

6 Likes

@megmavens5 Hey, thanks for the feedback! I just tried to search ‘MeshPart’, and the top result seemed accurate. Are you getting different results?

@WEcompany There is not a way to revert back to the old search - what specifically do you prefer about the older one?

4 Likes

Oh, the MeshPart was just an example. I did notice some of the previous results I had trouble with were fixed now :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

I don’t really like that you click it, and the search popups. I much rather press enter.

2 Likes

The new search is incredibly useful. Good update. I’m always searching the DevHub for forgotten syntax, functions, etc. Very useful.

1 Like

QoL suggestion: Pressing enter on a query should navigate to the first result

There are people (including me) who really hate having to move their mouse to confirm a form entry

3 Likes

It’s expected behaviour for Ctrl+Click to open links in a new tab in most browsers, but this currently isn’t the case with the search, it just opens the link in my current tab only. Would love that to be changed, I frequently find myself wanting to open multiple pages to look at class properties.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.