Improved Private Server Links

Is this update gonna break games?

20 Likes

i think they answered this, it was one of the first links as to their reasoning

14 Likes

I mean, a smaller link is useful for stuff such as a Group Shout (with its hilariously small 255 character limit) and similar stuff.

Edit: Post I replied to was edited, but the point I made in this post makes sense still

15 Likes

roblox.com/share?code={{ ID }}&type=Server

&type=Server

Is there any more information on the invitation link’s type parameter? Would love to have a Studio type to invite other developers to a Team Create.

Thanks for the QOL feature! A share link feels much more appropriate than this long string of two coupled UUID codes.

21 Likes

If Roblox will no longer be using the Private Server Link Code nor the Game ID, how does this work? Do Private Server Links now generate a random ID specifically assigned to this server, which happens to be on that game?

EDIT: I’ve figured it out, it’d be something like:
https://www.roblox.com/share?code=643f439fea345f4c83e27a6b3ff73f05&type=Server

15 Likes

This change will not break your Discord embeds. We will be maintaining the metadata that allows platforms like Discord to show you a preview of the experience that link leads to.

55 Likes

This doesn’t really explain this very well, was there previously a valid way to do something with the “private server link code” that this will impact?

9 Likes

Roblox is still using the Private Server Link Code and Game ID under the hood, so there’s no change to how private servers work. The ID you see in the new link helps us route users through a deferred deep linking flow if they do not have the app.

19 Likes

Just a little bit, but not anything major. I work on 2 extensions, one has a quick copy private server link feature which used data.linkCode from the VIP server endpoint before data.link was added a few months back, that’s an easy fix. Just need to add data.link ||

The other has a private server link list feature for importing/adding server links. It shouldn’t be too difficult to add support for Server share links though.

11 Likes

One problematic issue I see with this is how the game ID is no longer (normally) obtainable from the link, since private servers automatically launch the Roblox application for the attached experience, this could lead to unfortunate issues in where users are misdirected to experiences they may not wish to join without a way to cancel the launching of the application.

19 Likes

Not that we’re aware of. We don’t expect this change to have any negative impact. However, there are many creative extensions and add-ons maintained by the community which we might not be aware of. So we are providing notice early to try to surface any potential issues.

9 Likes

The type parameter is internally used to differentiate between the different types of share links that we’ll be continuing to add. For example, if you click Invite Friends To Join > Share Invite Link in the in-game menu you’ll get a link that ends in type=ExperienceInvite. I’d be glad to investigate adding studio links to our roadmap. Is your goal to be able to share a link to your location in studio with a collaborator? (Something like this new feature but in the format of a link)

14 Likes

Would you mind sharing links to your two extensions so that I could test them out?

10 Likes

Very interesting, is it possible to add a confirmation?

For example, when you click the app it always opens by itself and puts you into the Game automatically

I would like it to be possible to activate an option to Ask the player if they want to join X game

And show who invited you, an example of a message:

Roblox User 30303 Invited you to join Totally Normal Roblox Game by GameCreator

Cancel - Proceed

26 Likes

Yeah especially when you refresh a private server link on accident. It automatically takes you into the game.

Hopefully they do put a confirmation

9 Likes

Seeing a lot of confusion within the Roblox community (particularly on platforms like X) with people not quite understanding what any of this means. Could you provide a explanation of how these changes make them more resilient along with a quick explanation of deferred deep linking for those unaware of what that means.

8 Likes

Is your goal to be able to share a link to your location in studio with a collaborator?

My question was more focused on simply inviting anyone to be able to join a Team Create with the link, but I recognize what security issues that could imply. However, being able to share a link to a location in Studio with a collaborator would be really nice, too.

11 Likes

No, they specifically said it Won’t affect normal private server link format and games.

6 Likes

honestly, i know this has been said before, but this may or may not break discord embeds. imagine someone using this to invite people to a crosswoods-type game without people being non the wiser.

4 Likes
5 Likes