Improved Save Experience in Studio!

If I open a local file, publish to a place then hit save, does using Ctrl+S save to the published place or to the local file that I originally opened?

After publishing I still make edits on my own local file so this could be very disruptive to my workflow if so.

11 Likes

I think it should be a choice rather.

For a lot of people files are more convienient, and for others cloud is, I think it should prompt you to choose between the default.

9 Likes

This is another issue that in itself ought to be addressed - until 2018 it was possible to run Studio offline, with the only real missing functionality being online assets.

10 Likes

So now it doesn’t automatically save to your changes when you work online?
If you press ctrl+s it will stop saving to roblox and you’ll have to upload the saved file in order to update the game on roblox?

Very confusing…

9 Likes

Hey, some clarification. There is always autosave to file happening (unless you’ve turned it off). Second, you can save or publish to Roblox, or to file, from the file menu. And if you’re in TeamCreate, your changes are saved to cloud every 5 minutes.

So in all, you can do what you did before; the difference is that if you do want to use the beta save command, it now uses the save location you did last time, rather than always pushing you back to saving to file.

10 Likes

Super awesome! This will be so useful! Thanks for this!

10 Likes

Yeah this should be added I don’t know why it hasn’t been already, I haven’t released anything popular enough for this to be an issue but I can see it being very severe for larger creators. It should also be fairly straight forward to add.

11 Likes

It makes me feel good knowing save to file isn’t being taken away after all like I thought last week.

8 Likes

If I save it to the Roblox cloud, or publish the game, and something happens with the cloud/server (god forbid).

Will there still be a local save on my computer?

What I currently do is that I save it to a file and then save it to Roblox each time I save the game.

Are there any better ways?

Thanks!

11 Likes

That’s great, I guess. That still wont stop me from using the “Save File As…” functionality.

9 Likes

It would be nice if there was a way to set a shortcut to do both a Save to ROBLOX and a save to local file. I currently have one bound to CTRL+S and the other to CTRL+SHIFT+S and press both in quick succession for each save. I tried setting CTRL+S to do both in the shortcut bindings but it seems you can only have one unique shortcut for each action.

What I usually do is start a place from a file, save it to ROBLOX, and then each time I need to save I do both a local save and a save to ROBLOX.

8 Likes

Talking about the error message how do I get rid of that? I’m just trying to publish my game.

4 Likes

Once you publish (not just save) a version of your game, the published version will be playable on the site.

6 Likes

This is incredibly helpful! Saving used to be the scariest thing about making Roblox games! Thank you Roblox for working so hard on the updates :smiley:

4 Likes

I just spent half my day trying to figure out why my places aren’t migrating to latest versions.
Typically I have a save file(s) on my local harddrive and select “Publish to Roblox As” once I’m ready to push updates.
I got confused and didn’t notice you changed “Publish to Roblox As” into “Publish to…” so I defaulted on pressing “Save to Roblox As” thinking it’d work. When I open the place in Edit mode from the website to confirm the latest version it shows up as the latest version. But when I restarted servers it’s obviously not updated. The website’s page even says “Updated in the last 5 minutes” without a published update.

Some kind of warning or obvious tell that there’s a difference between “Save” and “Publish” would be nice because this was really confusing. Maybe an option of “Would you like to Publish this save?” prompt after you’re done manually saving to Roblox.

1 Like

Question: Is the autosave a “hard” autosave now?
I regularly delve into old place files and dissect scripts/ models, often deleting things or adding text or dragging stuff into workspace with little regard because any changes I make won’t be kept. But I did this recently and I didn’t get a “would you like to save changes” prompt.
Did I just mess up an old save? WHY would you add this? What was wrong with the old autosave system??

1 Like

i cant even start a baseplate anymore. not sure if it has to do with this.

2 Likes

Help, how do you turn this off? there is no more button in beta features to turn this off. please help!!

The save message says No changes to the place detected. Did not save. but instead, it should say No changes to the place detected. Did not save to cloud. The contextually-changing functionality was unknown to me and I assumed my Ctrl+S shortcut was attempting to save to local file after I published it midway through a session.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.