[Improvements] Infinite Triangle Terrain Generation

wish you luck, I cant help, I know what the stuff is, cant use it myself : /

1 Like

The trees to actually generate with different scales but it’s subtle :sweat_smile:

Looks amazing! Great job! I think that with a little bit more it can go a long way!

1 Like

O dang, you actually did it, you used my idea, thank you so much, I’ve actually done something helpful :smile:

1 Like

:smiley: Thanks for suggesting it, the map looks wayy better with water!

May I ask what you use for placing the triangles?
And also did you get inspiration from okeanskiy or what his name is?

1 Like

Thanks! I used EgoMoose’s function for placing the triangles. Also, who’s okeanskiy? :grinning:

Okeanskiy is a YouTuber that “makes” tutorials. He doesn’t actually make most of tutorials, instead opting for stealing others and using them without credit.

1 Like

This would be amazing for an open world survival game or something

1 Like

Oh okay, I’ve never heard of him before :sweat_smile:

Small Announcement: Added biomes!

1 Like

Definitely will use this!

Thank you!

Do you have a discord or something like that, I made something VERY VERY similar to this and I’d like to see if you wanted to work on a game based on this

Wag#7634 if youre interested

1 Like

Hi, sorry not looking for dev collabs right now. Thanks for the offer though :grinning:

Hi everyone! Just wanted to say that I’ve made a lot of cool changes to the code and assets and I’m looking for more feedback and ideas!

2 Likes

I have a similar terrain generation thing, how did you do your biomes? I am doing some research before I implement it into my own game.

1 Like

I created a noise layer which is a temperature map and another one which is a rainfall map. Then I have an array of different biomes and the corresponding values. Example:

{
   ["Forest"] = {temperature = 0.5, rainfall = 0.4},
   ["Desert"] = {temperature = -1, rainfall = -1},
}
1 Like

How did you generate your two noise maps? My generation has chunks and I am just not sure if the method would apply. Also, how did you get the differing plains and mountains?

1 Like

I check the chunk position (for example, 4th block on the z axis in a chunk) + chunk number (chunk x = 2, z = 7) multiplied by the chunk size (mine is 16 studs) to get the real world position. I input that into the math.noise function. The plains and mountains are created with yet another noise function, called Steepness which’s resolution/scale is 2x smaller than the base heightmap’s size. Then I just mutliply the values. And don’t forget to use different seeds for each noise map as well.

local mapScale = 500
local steepnessScale = 250

local noise = math.noise(x / mapScale, z / mapScale, seed1) * math.noise(x / steepnessScale, z / steepnessScale, seed2)

-- this is roughly the way I do it, of course I clamp those values
-- and make them in the range -1, 1, but this is the basic way.

Do you ever plan on continuing this project? It’s really cool, and I think a lot of people would find it helpful if it were open sourced!

1 Like