Improvements to Part Shape & Size

Great update, inserting wedge parts separately is really annoying. But I hope that SpecialMesh does not get Depreciated as some people have been talking about. Same with BlockMesh too.

The biggest plus with these meshes for me at least is that you can scale the mesh up to huge sizes, larger then the typical 2000 stud brick, allowing to create endless ocean environments.

2 Likes

There is actually a MeshPart:ApplyMesh method that just swaps out the mesh whilst keeping size, position and stuff.

However there’s no way to use dynamic mesh IDs that weren’t created in Studio without using SpecialMesh.

1 Like

With DynamicMeshes being introduced, I want to bring up this topic again in relation to part size Increase max BasePart size

I want to create terrain using DynamicMesh, but the part size is still limited to 2048 studs making the issues in the topic above still relevant. There should be no size limit for meshes, even if it means that mesh will have no collisions or raycasting

Example of a planet using DynamicMesh, its diameter is limited to 2048 studs

6 Likes

I’ve waited for this for centuries. Finally.

The issue im having is that when disabling the move by studs, and trying to copy and paste something over another thing, it will, for example, past in 1 studs (Nosence since the move by studs are disabled, thing that didn’t occur before.) I’ll provide an example:

(Yellow and blue parts are to represent the perfect middle of the red part)
So when pasting the green part in a perfect centered by just copy-pasting over it (This made workflow super fast) it would appear centered to the part, IF move studs was disabled, but now even if disabled the engine remembers what number it is when was enabled, (THIS DOESN’T AFFECT THE FREE MOVEMENT ON THE Y OR X AXIS) So my way to get around the issue to paste over stuff “Sort of” perfectly centered is set the Movement of the studs to: 0.001 and then disable it. Else it will remember the big numbers and paste it uncentered.

1 Like

Thanks for the report. With the video I was able to reproduce it and figure out what’s wrong (it was indeed related to that change but an unintentional side-effect), I’ll get a fix in.

3 Likes

Thank you! This will help my workflow highly, have a great day.

2 Likes

This reply is a bit late, but would it be possible for there to be an ellipsoid collision fidelity for MeshParts if and when ellipsoids are implemented?

1 Like

Truss parts should definitely be merged with .Shape too. It would just make sense, especially since we now already have wedge and corner wedge in the .Shape property.

I think the truss parts are weird and locked since they have a unique sort of design; they aren’t solid shapes, but they are instead hollow inside and have a specific pattern to them that the engine tries to maintain no matter the size. It’s made so that the truss doesn’t get cut off midway, as it wouldn’t look right if it did. It also seems to become completely hollow if set to its minimum size.

I’m sure a way to put them in the .Shape property could be done though. Even without changing how they work, it would be handy to have it.

First post! Hooray! Didn’t realize I could post now till I randomly pressed the Reply button!

4 Likes

The problem is that when the sphere/cylinder/disk is enlarged, the number of sides do not change, you get you these straight spots on the edge. I would like to see that changed.

2 Likes

Hello!! i wonder when the fix will be rolled out?

1 Like

I got a fix in but unfortunately there’s no release next week so you’ll have to wait until the 26th.

2 Likes

Am I right in noticing that the uneven shape of the cylinder has been fixed? Was this a sneaky addition of this update?

1 Like

I think this is a very good point to make. The amount of faces on the outside of the cylinder and sphere should increase depending on size so that larger cylinders and spheres do not appear so jagged and outdated. It would however be nice to have an option to choose how many faces the cylinder’s edge has to control the amount of detail it has, so developers can decide a balance of detail and performance for their games invididually.

3 Likes

I really want cones so I don’t need to import a mesh.

Also reminds me of that time I imported a cone mesh I made in blender and it ended up crashing studio because it had too many sides… it had like 20k. I may of gone overboard.

4 Likes

I got a Part with the Shape set to Ball to have its model stretched in runtime.
It might be a bug but couldn’t this behavior be the default?

3 Likes

Interesting… Does its collision match its shape or is that locked to a pure sphere/circle? If it’s oval-shaped, then I don’t see why we can’t make stretched spheres like this normally.

(Someone said that the reason why we can’t do that is because Roblox uses a formula or something to calculate the collision of sphere parts. If this isn’t true…)

2 Likes

The collision is spherical

3 Likes

Oh, so I guess they are using a math formula for sphere collisions, then; Thanks for the info!

I tried to create one of these by changing a HumanoidRootPart’s shape into a ball, which worked, but it sadly changes into a small sphere once I re-parent it to workspace. I think non-uniform spheres should become a purely-visual feature (without using MeshParts or SpecialMeshes).

I’m not entirely sure what this would mean or take technically, but would it be a good compromise to add a CanStretch bool property (false by default) to the part that could allow stretching when enabled?
I know it’s easy for us people to suggest ideas & features & less easier for y’all to actually implement them, though I thought I would still let my suggestion out.

EDIT: I haven’t read much past the message I replied to, so my bad if I just suggested something that has already been suggested,

2 Likes