In response to the 'oof' sound discussion

I just liked the tweet that’s all (as in if this was a perfect world and everyone was nice… you know…),

I now understand the case of self-victimization. I fully support this:

4 Likes

I’m pretty sure someone made a reddit post on r/Roblox a while ago saying that the oof sound originally came from a game from 1999 if i’m correct.

The user showed a clip of the game playing the oof sound. Now later on i think they find one of the people who worked on the game was Tommy Tallarico (For the Sound Design), and random people started talking about the oof sound in his Twitter. I think it was something like this.

Please correct me if i’m wrong on this statement.

7 Likes

Do not be fooled by Tom’s social media banter. All his conclusions are inaccurate and unsubstantiated. Keep in mind that he (as well as anyone) is entitled to express whatever they want on social media, regardless of its truth. His contract is his only supportive public evidence, and it does not conclusively support him.

14 Likes

Yes i very much agreed on that.

4 Likes

Roblox please don’t remove the oof sound! It is one of the most iconic things about Roblox and even if you do make sounds UGC can you please at least keep the oof sound and make it default for already existing games?

11 Likes

Worded very respectfully. Hope this situation gets resolved soon!

6 Likes

Also something that I really dislike is that Tommy T. is acting like the victim just so that he can get support and make Roblox look bad, despite not having any copyright on the sound at all. He is clearly in the wrong in this situation.

8 Likes

cc @iacxx

He remained mostly private until a year passed with Roblox completely ignoring his requests.

4 Likes

He has copyright and proof that he created the song. He showed the contract for the copyright and he is also in the song metadata.

6 Likes

It is not a question of who made it, Roblox clearly acknowledges that he made it. The argument is regarding whether Roblox had the rights to use the song.

7 Likes

From what I’ve gathered by listening in thus far, the contract he showed isn’t enough evidence for this case - what is needed is a record of registered copyright.

7 Likes

This is not my point.

What I am trying to explain is that neither side can be written off as “wrong”. Roblox acknowledges that Tommy T. made the song. The argument is over whether Roblox had the rights to use the sound track. I think that it is highly improbable that after over a year of this dispute, Roblox suddenly claims they had a CD-ROM with the track on it. They cannot prove they ever had it and for all we know, the content on the disc was obtained illegally.

Bottom line, I am trying to point out that neither side is “wrong”

4 Likes

I would be wary of this point; this is unbased speculation. The reality is that we don’t know whether the disc exists, who authored it, whether they had the rights to the content on the disc, and, in the possible case where the contents of the disc were illegally distributed by the author, whether Roblox was misled over the legality of the contents. This is not unprovable.

There are several reasons pertaining to the legal case why Roblox may not have released that evidence at this time, but I’m not a legal expert, so I’ll save that for someone more experienced with this stuff.

I do generally agree with your sentiment that neither side should be written off as wrong at this point in time, from a legal perspective.

9 Likes

Thats good, but I’m left to wonder why he felt the urge to create a public spat on twitter about it rather than making a little tweet with his intentions and going to court.

Regarding your other post. The argument shouldn’t be out in the public at all. It should be using the court system as thats what its set up to do. Roblox has currently done nothing wrong in my eyes. They have rightfully or wrongfully used audio that they believe they own and have addressed the concerns by putting out a public statement. They are just waiting for a summon to court to defend their actions. The ball is in Tommys court and hes just sat on it.

4 Likes

Definitely. I understand why you would feel Roblox is not wrong in this case. But at the same time, you can’t go bash tommy tallarico.

In regards to him being wrong due to self-victimization does not pertain to this conversation. In the situation at hand, he simply is not wrong.

3 Likes

Tom is undeniably wrong. He instigated the situation publicly with the intentions of attention and publicity. Regardless of if he is legally correct, his approach to the situation was inappropriate.

11 Likes

I’ve not bashed Tommy at all in my posts. I feel i’ve remained fairly neutral and only came into this post as I saw plenty of people bashing both sides. I still stand by my post that we shouldn’t even be involved in this and it should not for us to put anybody on the ol’ shame board.

I will refrain from posting anymore as I don’t wish to carry on fueling fire.

5 Likes

I’m glad to see an official response. Always better than no response!
I never really had a strong opinion on this matter. Not my place to determine who owns the copyright (if he has a registered copyright, that is pretty hard to dispute). Either way, if he does own it, Roblox will either be forced to remove it, or they will have to pay for the right to use it.

I do hope that they come to an actual agreement, aside from asking him to join our community (very one sided).

Aside from removing this sound due to it illegibly being stolen by whoever made that cd, I do hope you change your mind on that second last paragraph. Although I do agree creators should be given the choice to make creations that are entirely original, I also believe that it is important to preserve history so that we can learn from it.

4 Likes

Sorry but I just can’t believe this. How would it get on a CD in the first place? Isn’t that also illegal? I also doubt it was from a CD in the first place.

4 Likes

He does have ownership of the sound though - it was a part of his deal with shiny entertainment :

4 Likes