In response to the 'oof' sound discussion

Yeah. True, but ROBLOX have lost here.

5 Likes

Roblox, I like you but the end of the day you’re a billion dollar corporation. It’s not uncommon that a bigger guy would take advantage of a smaller guy.

There are hundreds of example of bigger corporations stealing creations from smaller people because smaller people can’t afford big time lawyers to help them out.

And where’s the proof of this CD ROM you said you got the licensed sounds from? And even if you did get it from a CD ROM you bought, there is still the possibility that the company you bought it from stole a lot of their sound effects.

I still don’t understand why you guys just don’t come to an agreement with Tom. How hard is it to say “Sorry our bad. Let’s make this better between us.”?
Instead you are getting the fans and the devs wild up to go and slander Tom and call him nothing but a copyright troll even though his dang name is on the sound file.

I don’t know. I feel like it’ll be easier for everyone and even yourself to just come to a private agreement with Tom instead taking potshots at each other online. Because if he does end up winning in court, the damages will be much worse for you.

11 Likes

I find it to be very suspicious that Tommy has blocked people for pointing out holes/asking for proof. LIke Alkan said, it is entirely possible that he lost the rights to the sound by selling it or something like that, and Tommy blocked Alkan after bringing that up, which makes it more suspicious. I don’t get why Tommy made all these claims on Twitter, especially when many people interacting with him are young people who do not fully understand the situation, but Tommy did say he thought it was a good opportunity to educate kids about how copyright works or something. But then what’s up with the holes in the case?

On the other hand, the people above me have a point, and Roblox may actually be in the wrong instead. It’s hard to tell without the full information.

9 Likes

Who is to say Tom is being reasonable here? He could be asking for a wild figure. Both sides could answer a whole bunch of questions here.

11 Likes

If this was the case, Roblox’s solution should be to remove the sound if they didn’t wish to pay up. Simple as that, no “we’re not doing anything wrong,” just remove it.

It does seem like they’re planning on that though.

3 Likes

To be clear, if roblox has the right to use it, then Tom isnt owned a dime and any payment from roblox would be a favor. It seems Roblox is in the right here(so far), why should roblox take down a sound or pay money to Tom

7 Likes

Doesn’t it strike you as super suspicious that now that this situation has became more publicized that they were trying to remove the oof sound?

I feel like if Tommy never came up or that post on Reddit was never created, they would have kept using the sound effect with no trouble.

If they really have nothing to worry about, why don’t they just keep the sound if they’re legally in the right?

3 Likes

Tommy has tweeted this, I just realized:

3 Likes

If I were suspicious, then what? Im more interested in facts and outcome. Roblox seems to be in the right so far. Ill see what happens if they go to court or if someone makes an interesting announcement.

7 Likes

EOGGUwTVUAAjCV7

5 Likes

Just because it’s on the internet, doesn’t make it true. Always make sure to read the fine print.

18 Likes

You already retweeted that to me a couple of minutes ago. No need to repeat yourself.

3 Likes

I love to see how Roblox can own up to these rumors instead of actually ignoring them! Great Progress!

3 Likes

He’s awaiting for it to be registred apparently;

3 Likes

He did, 6 months ago, he offered the option of buying the license, they denied doing anything wrong. If Roblox had bought the license then they wouldn’t be getting sued.

It’s plausible Roblox indeed did buy it from a CD-ROM site where a user was selling the oof sound claiming it was theirs when it was actually stolen.

5 Likes

According to roblox, he never presented adequate evidence that he owned the audio and had the rights to it. What was roblox to do? I understand if Tommy decided to go public with it as a result, but he should’ve stayed quiet and returned to roblox with the evidence roblox was asking for or take it to court.

8 Likes

This has nothing to do with capitalism. Get over it.

5 Likes

I don’t know how true this is, so please correct me if I’m wrong, but shouldn’t the case ID be public information? From my understanding, the case ID is just a way to verify that the copyright is valid and can be seen by verifying it through the copyright database? It doesn’t actually harm anyone’s case by having the ID public besides the fact you could search it up and verify if it’s valid or not.

6 Likes

(I’m not in law, im just going by what i understand and am thought, feel free to politely correct me if i’m wrong anywhere bellow, i’m not hardheaded!)
He would have to sue everyone because this sound is everywhere now, shore theres a few YouTubers who make money off it. Tommy aloud other people to use the sound but you cant profit from the sound, thats how copyright partly works right? And roblox didn’t technically profit from this sound, so i don’t see how any case could even happen, didn’t think anyone would want to take the time to copyright a 1 second sound of someone getting punched in the gut anyway. Also how do we know rather or not he just took someones non copyrighted sound and claim ownership of it?
Roblox also got this sound from somewhere else, not from Tommy directly, afaik when you legally buy a stolen item from someone, unknowing that its stolen, the real owner cant sue you for possessing it. He should be after the dealer instead.

I find it odd that after all these years, its a problem now? He clearly just wants attention or money (or simply lives under a rock, but being a audio creator its unlikely). So something is bound to be a bit fishy with all this nonsense.
Whatever happens, i hope we never loose our beloved oof sound over this.

7 Likes

I’m pretty sure they’re already in the process of replacing the OOF sound.

However, I’m not sure. There seems to be a lot of evidence towards it. Counting they published a survey asking people to pick the “game over” death sound.

Photo

The only photo I had of this survey, which seems to be now down.

6 Likes