Increased polygon limit for CSG parts and Mesh parts

The only thing I ever wanted was to make a mesh with 5001 triangles and now I can.

12 Likes

your new goal is a mesh with 10,001 triangles

13 Likes

Iā€™m assuming this is due to the new LOD for mesh parts when they are farther away! This is an awesome update!

1 Like

Iā€™m also curious about the real-time csg limit, but itā€™s probably the same as the studio limit. Iā€™m working on a csg mining system that would really benefit from this! (Donā€™t worry Iā€™m not using one giant part for the ground. :wink:)

Yes, real-time CSG limit also got increased to 5k.

5 Likes

It mostly is a combination of us wanting to move somewhat conservatively and CSG rendering assets not being as optimal as mesh rendering assets in terms of data storage (doesnā€™t affect rendering performance, but may slightly affect the asset download bandwidth). We need to consolidate these at which point weā€™d remove the difference.

5 Likes

We havenā€™t implemented mesh LOD yet - itā€™s on our roadmap for next year. We decided to reevaluate the limits because:

• Developers want to push for higher detail content, and in many cases they are working around the limit by splitting the meshes into separate pieces - which doesnā€™t help performance anyway
  • With instancing available on most devices, the extra memory/performance cost of larger meshes is less significant

Having said that - echoing the comment from @Aotrou, donā€™t make all your meshes 10k just because you can now :slight_smile: Triangle count is still important for performance. When automatic mesh LOD ships itā€™ll be easier of course.

8 Likes

Thatā€™s a lot of triangles! Out of curiosity, what is the purpose of having limits? Is it just for reducing file size for the sake of loading them into the game?

I had meanā€™t the ā€˜upcomingā€™ LOD, but yeah, great update either way. However, will this have any affect on the collision fidelity? Will the collision be any more accurate to the actual mesh, or will that be a separate issue and potential update?

1 Like

Just my unofficial opinion, I would think having limits serves as a guideline for what is reasonable for the engine. Although there are always ways to get around this such as splitting mesh parts, I would think the limit is saying ā€˜This is what you should keep the count under, when using a reasonable amount of mesh partsā€™

Because without a limit, a new developer might upload a 200k poly, and then wonder why the bandwidth is dead for their game.

Also, the mesh parts have the uploaded to Roblox initially and then downloaded per client when playing, so the limits help keep that from being overwhelmed.

2 Likes

Does this apply to V1 as well as V2 CSG?

1 Like

Thatā€™s a separate issue - collision geometry is computed based on a simplified mesh representation. We have a long term plan of improving the fidelity & performance of collision geometry for CSGs & MeshPars but nothing this year Iā€™m afraid.

3 Likes

Thatā€™sā€¦ an interesting question. Iā€™m not quite sure, Iā€™ll have to look into that.

3 Likes

No - V1 should still use the old limit for V1 which is 2500 triangles. V1 is deprecated and you shouldnā€™t really be using it - we plan to remove it next year.

3 Likes

A lot of users still use V1 instead of V2 as it has better smoothing; any news on that front?

7 Likes

little example if needed:

CSG V1

CSG V2

I think it is clear which one is prefered

14 Likes

Thanks - this helps. Weā€™ll need to look into what it would take to support this in v2 and how to best do it.

7 Likes

Love it!

I feel like at that point you should probably just be using blender

6 Likes

Blender can be a far more intimidating tool. Many engines include mesh capabilities out of the box.
CSG->Mesh when

2 Likes