Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

:doesnt seem to be working for me :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

11 Likes

Did another test in a blank baseplate with a free model house.

The reflection quality is extremely poor - in terms of positioning.

Also doesnā€™t appear to reflect decals or textures.

Also, why is the sky still reflected indoors?

17 Likes

Wow! Very nice update. This will make both gameplay and mid-poly/high-poly builds a lot better! :star_struck:

4 Likes

Interesting. I just quickly tested this new beta out and I already enjoy it!

There is room for improvement, however. I noticed that the same environment map is still being used in the previous image when I enter a completely different room that is small. I assume the system behind generating dynamic environment maps doesnā€™t pick up correctly while Iā€™m in a different room.

(Iā€™m in the bathroom, which should generate a new env map, but still uses the one in the main room.)

There is also a clear quality difference between using the Block shape and the Ball shape.
Notice how the blender on the counter is rendered in the environment map between a ball and a block.

Overall, I look forward to seeing how well this improves in the long run. Keep it up!

15 Likes

Which material and reflectance did you use?

1 Like

I cant seem to find the beta feature in studio. I appear to have updated as well.

5 Likes

I used every material and reflection and nothing works.

3 Likes

Sweet, now we can have actual mirrors in are games. Iā€™m going to have to play around with this for a bit.

4 Likes

Iā€™ve found a bug that when i put it into this room you can see the ball on a certain angle of it its also hardly visible in studio i had to turn it all to full.

I do find it strange how its also detecting the object within the room instead of ignoring it.

8 Likes

Personally i think this needs more work

Probe positioning is poor and reflections dont appear in low light conditions (idk if thats a feature or not but it kinda ruins it since you have to literally burn your retinas for it to reflect anything)

15 Likes

In the future, would it be possible to feed the system a function such as game.Lighting:generateEnvMap(Vector3) to manually generate an environment map? I feel like this would solve most of the problem pictures posted here, where the outdoor envmap is being used because the object in question is not close enough to an existing automatic envmap position.

17 Likes

this is like turning on impulse 80 on the source engine. very neat.

4 Likes

Finally! I have been waiting so long for this and now seeing it become a reality is a dream come true. Now all we need it Roblox RTX support and we are good.

2 Likes

Are you able to send that place file? The most Iā€™ve been able to get is this and Iā€™m completely stumped on how to solve it:

2 Likes

Do I have to make a new place to use the environment maps?

I tried it in my showcase and it doesnā€™t work at all

14 Likes

i dont think thats the case here, look at the posts above. they are definitely not a new place

4 Likes

This is really cool, but it really is just for small interiors. Any large cathedral or a street build will be outside the render distance. Thereā€™s also the issue of terrain not being rendered, throwing caves with reflections out of question. Would be nice if we got some kind of a screen space reflection alternative for cases where precision is of no concern like for cars, as well as actual settings for these. I really hate seeing a wall at the end of a corridor fade into the skybox. The resolution is also of a concern for any mirror-like surfaces.

4 Likes

Oh thanks roblox for this good update. Imagine now Beta Material with thatā€¦ Yep RTX on soon I thinkā€¦ And I give two screen:

Without Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps:
RobloxScreenShot20210317_214637037

And with Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps:
RobloxScreenShot20210317_214645511

Thatā€™s what I call a very cool feature! Now imagine with reflection surfaceā€¦ And with pbrā€¦ So now your limit with all this beta is your imagination! Thanks for this!

4 Likes

Barely doing anything.

5 Likes

Try moving the sphere inside a building and then cranking the brightness up to something like 100. Thats how i got mine to magically work

3 Likes