Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

It has been how long already since this has been added, and STILL nothing about a way to toggle this separately besides disabling EnvironmentSpecularScale. Seriously, is this a game engine or not?

4 Likes

It really is a game engine, a game engine that has less functionality than a game engine that came out around about 2005 (Source Engine)

2 Likes

maybe u should read clone trooper’s explanation :

4 Likes

The problem is, those prebuilt maps look way better!

2 Likes

?? They look pretty similar to me, and function very similarly, except for

• Cubemap probes are hand-placed by mappers in the Source engine (in Hammer).
  • Cubemaps are static in Source, and can’t ever be updated.
  • The work everywhere, not just indoors.

You can also control the resolution of each cubemap, and static cubemaps are always in any game no matter what, though the smoothing source does is like roblox’s.

2 Likes

Wow! I was really surprised. Well it’s far from being perfect, but it is enough to be satisfying.

so many months later and i still have no way to toggle ENV maps off besides turning off EnvironmentSpecularScale, which disables sky reflections on all surfaceappearance textures and materials… It’s making CustomMaterials extremely shiny when they shouldn’t even shine at all

example:

vs what it should actually be looking like indoors:

i did not change the EnvironmentSpecularScale for either of these images, proving this is a bug

10 Likes

I have exactly the same, I haven’t had anything like this before, the reflections look terrible, not high-quality, not in real time and most importantly curves. it looks cool for a certain frame, but you won’t be able to feel it in the game. As usual, we have to be content with reflections by the water (which is very many years old)

3 Likes

This bug is because of Roblox’s automatic STUPID camera placement when it comes to generating the ENVMAPS, most of the time it picks areas that the camera was in at least a few minutes ago, which is a very bad choice.

6 Likes

i wish i had a separate way to disable it so i could just handle reflections via my own system… WITHOUT sacrificing my normal maps

7 Likes

What happened to this feature? Was it silently sunsetted or am I just having trouble getting it to work?

2 Likes

You need a reflective CUSTOM material, you cannot use the base materials for whatever reason.

1 Like

It still works.
Just tried it out yesterday using a reflective pbr material:

Screenshot 2022-12-03 200152

3 Likes

The base materials work, they’re just less accurate.

I feel like this is an issue that needs to be addressed, as this is one of the biggest headaches I’m having currently with this IBL system.

Dynamic lights that only show up for a split second, such as a muzzle flash, will appear for several seconds (even if the light itself is only there for mere milliseconds.)

Large indoor-environments are unrealistically bright.
( EnvironmentDiffuse and EnvironmentSpecular set to 1)

( EnvironmentDiffuse and EnvironmentSpecular set to 0)

This is a huge problem and I think it needs to be addressed before anything else regarding this system.

I feel like the faked Global Illumination needs to be turned off, because it’s not doing that good of a job.

This is really only good for very very basic reflections on small objects, and should definitely be disabled or turned down significantly on large objects.

10 Likes

@ConvexRumbler It’s been years, and no concerns/pain points have even been acknowledged. If Roblox wants the community to be happy, you need to acknowledge and address this. You want to be trusted? Roblox relies on us devs, and if the devs are dissatisfied, the company WILL fall. A UGC platform cannot work when the UGC creators are ignored, and leave.

1 Like

Roblox’s argument for not allowing us to place env maps ourselves is utterly stupid, if env maps are not in real life, why not remove gui? you can’t have a health bar on your vision 24/7. why not remove anchoring objects, floating things aren’t in real life right? Adding the ability for env map placement makes our games look better, and more realistic, doesn’t that align with your goals for realism? making your engine limited because “the object doesn’t exist in real life” is annoying, and is going to hurt the amount of developers that use Roblox as a development platform.

4 Likes

Technically we do have the ability to do that since Reflection is based off of the Skybox. However, I do agree that Roblox should give developers more control over reflections. I don’t know why we don’t have the ability to do something like game.Lighting.Reflection = ReflectionMap. Having the ability to control reflections beyond just skybox would be very helpful.

1 Like

It only works inside rooms with no exits to the outside, otherwise it looks very off, but if its outside its fine for using the skybox.