Indoor Dynamic Environment Maps Beta

Yeah this is useless it breaks my games compeltely. I have a airport which i have built, and i cant even move around anywhere without everything changing colors or taking another obhects color and changing the ambient light to that color.

Not bad, i wish u guys can implement ssr but i hope this thing can get better in future

7 Likes

do you have eager bulk execution on? How does it look like when you turn that function off?

2 Likes

Ah, that fixed it. Thanks! ----------------

Just like everyone else, I cannot make it work at all :frowning:

1 Like

As a builder who sets all lighting features to 0 to create a completely unique atmosphere from scratch, I find it incredibly important for developers to have the ability of fine-tuning lighting. When testing this feature in my “lightingless” world, I was unsuccessful in rendering any reflections regardless of the settings. As a solution for vastly different environments, there could be a feature similar to CustomPhysicalProperties. By default, the box is unchecked and a user cannot edit the physical properties of the object, but once checked additional settings appear, which allows a user to fine-tune the properties. I imagine a solution similar to this would bridge the idea of easy automated use for new developers and advanced fine-tuning for more advanced developers.

Does this mean in other game engines mirrors are costly too?

Roblox beginning to slowly look more like Unity HDRP graphics, that’s epic.
I like this update, finally we’re getting improved reflections.
Just wish we had more manual control over it without any limits, I’m not a big fan of full automation.

I like to control and optimize it by hand like how I do in Unity.
I’m not saying everything should be manual, not everyone is that advanced or has that much knowledge on how to properly use and optimize graphics and such.

But at least provide a possible option/switch for manual/automatic control over certain render/lighting features, that would be really nice.

I still find Roblox too limiting graphics wise when everything is solved with automated solutions that sometimes yield unpredictable results in unexpected usecases.

3 Likes

This is a very good update! This can increase the realism in ROBLOX Games, I personally love it make my maps realistic. I have not tired this yet and I will start doing so as soon as I can!

With the realism being added into ROBLOX I do have a few questions:

• Can these new realism updates being added, is there a slight chance of it lagging ROBLOX Games?
  • Are ROBLOX Staff trying to make their game a engine now for other games to build their game?
  • Can the investors stop ROBLOX from adding realism updates or anything to the ROBLOX Studio?

These are all the questions I have for now! I am super excites too see the outcome of these new realism updates!

Might have to do this in a new game / template

Set spectacular in lighting to 1, then insert this:

shiny_sphere.rbxm (14.2 KB)

Then set the reflectance of the ball to 0.001
Then put it inside a building.

Hope it works!

2 Likes

I had attempted to do something with this new update.

I was extremely hyped when I saw the title. Was extremely disappointed when I learnt that we have to rely on a faulty and buggy automated system to do it rather than placing the probe ourselves.

It works like 5% of the time, and then most of the time it doesn’t work or works incorrectly. It also doesn’t work at all for reflective parts you can walk around as you can see the actual part in the reflection and it takes 10 seconds for it to fade out to the new reflection.

I really don’t understand why we are being limited so much in terms of development.

12 Likes

You can’t just put the settings back to 0?

or he can just turn the beta off

2 Likes

Did some messing around and got this awesome result. This feature is really promising. I can’t wait to see what it looks like when out of beta!

15 Likes

how do you test it I did all the steps and it’s still not working

Might have to do this in a new game / template

Set spectacular in lighting to 1, then insert this:

shiny_sphere.rbxm (14.2 KB)

Then set the reflectance of the ball to 0.001
Then put it inside a building.

Hope it works!

3 Likes

We are carefully listening to Your feedback and we will address your concerns. Remember this is just a beta. For now just a couple tips on how to get best use of this feature:

• Use PBR materials, not reflections (reflectance)
  • Set lighting->ambient to very low or zero values
  • Use lighter albedo (part color)
  • Turn off eager bulk execution
  • Use future lighting
21 Likes

You’re stuck using automated reflections unless you turn environment specular scale completely off, but some games use specular scale to give objects a glossy, shiny look around the edges. I would like to use specular scale, but would rather just reflect the skybox at this point as the indoor reflections are extremely low-quality in some cases, or just completely wrong.

TLDR: Have the option to just disable indoor reflections rather than specular scale itself.

The reflection seems to reflect the lights on the ceiling slightly, but the skybox is just being reflected way too much possibly. Edit: I guess it wasn’t supposed to be using reflections anyways.

1 Like