Input Method Editor Support for MacOS

Hi Creators,

We are excited to announce that we are adding support for Input Method Editor on MacOS, including the support for (but not limited to) the following languages:

• Japanese
  • Spanish
  • Simplified Chinese
  • Korean

The change will be gradually rolled out starting this week. If you encounter any issues, feel free to comment under this post or submit a bug report.

Thanks for the hard work from @SparkRTG_Roblox, and support from @0xabcdef1234 @Tiffblocks, @101croissants, @LuxuryToaster1,@Fluffybabypanda514, @konohanasakuya3, @whenlovewasking, @froggie1o1 @teahata and many others for making this happen.

85 Likes

This topic was automatically opened after 10 minutes.

Is there any possible native future for Viet Telex instead of using Windows’s (including Mac) built-in for Roblox currently?

I really would like to chat in the language conveniently without it messing up my WASD_ keys

15 Likes

What does any of that mean?

21 Likes

Finally, it works in a game! Been waiting for this for years.

6 Likes

omg finally! so happy this works in-game! うれしいよ!
thanks!

10 Likes

Absolutely amazing!! I can finally chat with my fellow Chinese using Chinese!!! :cn:

5 Likes

Nice! Can you let macOS know where the actual cursor location is too?
Roblox Studio is the only app I know that does this.

11 Likes

This annoyed me too, doesn’t sound like Apple supplied any API for their new text cursor. Roblox staff replied to my bug report on this with a command line to completely disable it. macOS Sonoma caps lock indicator does not follow line focus - #5 by Usering

7 Likes

why go out of your way to support apple, when you refuse to add native linux support?

9 Likes

Because “adding native Linux support” isn’t such a simple thing to be done without compromising their security goals, and this is an accessibility barrier for people who speak other languages. It has little do with “supporting Apple.”

13 Likes

Yea I was thinking viet telex why not add it?

4 Likes

Hi, thanks for bring this up, we will note down the request and check with internal experts.

3 Likes

An IME – “input method editor” – lets you use a standard QWERTY keyboard to compose text in languages that would otherwise be impossible to write using a standard keyboard. Specific sequences of inputs/characters get transformed into a symbol in another language.

If you were asking what the sentences typed in the search box meant, they’re just simple phrases.

2 Likes

If I remember correctly, this feature was initially added in v588 and was reverted after it was noticed that pressing the escape key while focused on any text field exits fullscreen, or plays the alert sound if not in fullscreen (mentioned here). The un-fullscreen issue is back again with the latest release.

I’ve taken a good look at the native text editor and while I think it’s a step in the right direction there’s a bug I do want to note when using the emoji keyboard since apparently the emoji keyboard unfocuses the text and results in the emoji keyboard not working as intended.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.