Inserting a video into RobloxStudio

Hello! I found a game, not made by roblox, and not the roblox technical test thing either. It was playing the rick roll video and I have been looking for how to do it since.

The problem is that I cannot find any videos on how to do it and it seems pretty impossible. Some people think that you can’t do it but I’m 99.9% sure it was a video. I saw it with my own eyes and heard it with my own ears, in a game.

I couldn’t find anything so I decided to ask the DevForum to see if any of you guys know anything about it, the updates, and what stage they are at if It’s not out yet, I’d really like to have a video in my game.

Thanks in advance

3 Likes

You cannot play videos in roblox at the moment that was most likely a gif which requires lots of parts and needs to be animated if I am correct,

1 Like

I believe video frames were enabled briefly, but were disabled because of a bug.

2 Likes

Here’s a thread I found on how to add a video into Roblox Studio for testing: How to test VideoFrame in Studio! (POSSIBLY OUTDATED)

1 Like

It might be a spritesheet of a gif, which does work at this time: Scale Spritesheet Iteration

@ND_B7 videoframes will not actually work in a published game i think

1 Like

Yeah, they only work in Studio.

3 Likes

They were enabled for the bloxys i think (if i remember correctly, they had a video in the bloxy game)

1 Like

Was it a long video or something like a short gif? For short videos people usually upload a decal for each frame and change the texture quickly. Or you could use a method like this which involves putting all the frames on one image and adjusting the offset:

2 Likes

This is not yet possible, however it’s very clear that roblox wants to add videos to games, as they’ve been testing it for months now.

1 Like

Videos just came out today! Introducing Videos in the Marketplace!

2 Likes

You can now use videos in your Roblox games using VideoFrames. They have uploaded around 50 videos I think. You can find them in the marketplace under videos. These can be used in a SurfaceGui or ScreenGui (I believe). You cannot upload your own yet but will be able to in the future. For now, you can only use the videos by Roblox. Also in the propertys, you make Playing true so that it plays and there are other settings as well. Hope this helps :smiley:

3 Likes