Intellisense/auto-complete suggestions for parameters in event handlers

When I’m hooking up events in my game, I may forget to include some parameters or arguments that I’ve used before but forgotten the exact naming/ordering of. This is why I believe we should have an auto-fill/intellisense feature for event parameters.

Newer developers may find it more difficult to remember the arguments (due to lack of experience with the API), and having to keep checking the developer hub to make sure you’re doing the right thing was incredibly annoying, as well as time consuming.

It could look for other occurrences of the event and match up the arguments for you.

For example:

Event:FireServer(foo)

Then when I use it somewhere else, it would give me a “hint”, based on what I’d used before:

Event.OnServerEvent:Connect(function() --< "player, foo" would be suggested in here
end)

Inside the parentheses where the comment is, the parameter would be displayed as a hint, slightly greyed out to show it isn’t part of the script yet until the player types it in. It should only be used as guidance, and not to promote laziness.

Thanks for reading this. The suggestion would be useful to prevent wasting precious time on looking back on the developer hub, and improving developer experience while scripting.

5 Likes

Agreed. This would be less of an issue with the DevHub wasn’t such a worthless mess, but since it is…

Also, @CaptinLetus, we should not have to rely on leaving Roblox to develop on Roblox. By your defense, Roblox should remove the script editor entirely because better ones exist. Your argument prevents any change or progress.

4 Likes

This is one of the points I was alluding to. The Developer Hub needs some pretty significant improvements, and I’m glad to see that they’re already taking steps to do so. Using other alternatives opposed to Roblox isn’t “ideal” for a lot of people, and it should be an option available for everyone on this platform.

I agree with CaptinLetus is the sense that using an external editor such as VSCode offers many benefits and features that you won’t have in Roblox Studio.

I personally use VSCode but I by no means think the internal script editor should be removed. I think it has its benefits such as service api autocompletion, if then and method autocompletion etc. I just think in the meantime before Type Checking is released, VSCode is a good and reliable option.

3 Likes