Intro to Music Software

Update to my original comments.

I recently switched from Cubase to Mixcraft 9. Not as powerful, but considerably cheaper(as of the time of writing on sale for $75 from the normal price of $100) and with a lot of options for add-ons and the like. Custom patches are accepted, and it’s super easy to use. And if you’re used to using musescore, you can convert your musescore files into midi files, then upload them into Mixcraft for better VSTs, add-ons, and editing. I’ve managed to recreate some of my musescore pieces using it.

this was a good read :slight_smile:, I prefer FL studio my self, but I also use free software in combination with it sometimes, so it really just depends on what sounds your going for.

@Chordily, first of all thank you very much for your tutorial, it looks really interesting! Second of all:
I’ve been thinking for days that Garageband as free software would be really interesting and easy (I’ve been playing around with it a bit), which it is. But (now comes the but part) unfortunately from what I read you can’t use it:

This is really annoying but that’s half the story with copyright software. Except if they ask you themselves, you are not allowed to use it before (and if they deny it, you are not allowed to use it either). So I just wanted to warn all the next readers, I once read a topic where a user was temporarily banned because he created a “Lego looking part”. So except for this (and if I’m wrong you may contradict me) this tutorial looks really good.

When I read this post when I first woke up, I thought it was super interesting so I looked more into it.

According to Apple itself, GarageBand is free for commercial use as long as you aren’t using any of their provided loops in your song.

1 Like

If you don’t have Apple, you could use BandLab, an online music editor.

1 Like

I have Apple, I just wanted to warn you guys to always read the terms of use (though @Chordily was right)

1 Like