Introducing an Engine-Level Model Scale API [Beta]

This is awesome news, especially for things like virtual concerts. For George Ezra, we ended up with like a dozen versions of the same animation for different avatar sizes - this would have saved so much time!

2 Likes

I wasn’t expecting animation scaling to be released with this but it makes me so happy, can’t wait to add a scale slider to my character creator when this comes out of beta

1 Like

Really great new feature i hope that Roblox will keep adding more stuff like this.
This feature is such a lifesaver.

Wow. Awesome stuff. Looking forward to giving it a try when I get a chance!

Excellent update, I was looking for this last night and I wished there was a scale for models, and unbelievably this is out today

Oh this is actually great! Thanks for the update

You’re a lucky charm. Can you look for improved PBR system, next? I need that

YEESSS!!! Finally! I’ve been waiting for this for so long. Thank you roblox engineers! :wink:

I like this update, by the way can we get the engineer model from tf2 you guys used in this post?

1 Like

This is the funniest thing I have ever seen, I am literally antman, I have gone sub-atomic, I am the size of a quark.

RobloxStudioBeta_2023-03-03_22-21-55

16 Likes

R6 kind of has a problem…

Apparently this gets fixed when I wait 3 seconds?

When I try using ScaleTo in studio it works, but when publishing and testing on roblox it leads me with an error of “ScaleTo Is not enabled yet!”

The feature is still in Beta (as stated in the title and post)

1 Like

FWIW, I think there will be a lot of pushback about the behavior of this once it leaves beta given that both the new and the old scaling behavior is useful in different cases. I think people would strongly prefer to have both scaling options; one that only scales baseparts (so they can choose a minority other instances inside to adjust manually), and one that also scales non-basepart or functional components (so if they prefer the majority of instances to be scaled, they can reset a minority to what they were before).

E.g. a toggle up here.

2 Likes

What would be your take on the response “Maybe that should be a role for plugins to fill”?

Scaling only the geometry is a relatively simple task that’s very feasible for plugin authors to handle, and if you do this via a plugin you can make an opinionated version that is able to do non-uniform scale by choosing a particular tradeoff on how to handle the stuff that can’t be exactly represented. Since there’s many different interpretations possible of “only the geometry” leaving this to different plugins that may make different choices on that has some benefits.

Having the scale tool in Studio focus on the hard task of “scale everything” and leaving various simpler divergence from that to community plugins seems like one of the options on this.

2 Likes

I’ve been waiting for this feature for so long! I’ve already begun testing it in studio and it works really well. I was wondering when ROBLOX would release something like this, very happy that they finally did. Great update that will definitely empower creators to further create in their experiences!

1 Like

Team Fortress easter egg confirmed, morale increase

Is there any “good” way of scalling a model using a tween and this api?

This must’ve been “scaled” down

What happens if you modify a model in 2x scale? Can it ‘work backwards’ for instance?

I can see this particularly being useful for the old-school style of detailed model & weapon building, which used to traditionally be done with a large-scale model scaled down via a script. If you can start making a model at a high scale, then scale it down after, this could be interesting.

Though, I’m skeptical of the “it just works” claim. Developers should be wary of ever using such bold terminology, lest they invoke the curse of Todd Howard.

1 Like