Introducing Exact Match Search for Experiences

Roblox is used heavily by American children. Having to spell things correctly in order to get any results would destroy any chance of games outside of the discover sorts getting any players.

23 Likes

As others have pointed out, the only way for people to know this feature exists is to know it exists, if that makes sense. Either someone reads this post, someone tells them about it, or they stumble upon it (probably still not knowing why the search was different w/ and w/o quotes.).

On the forums, we can click this button for searching:

I feel like adding something similar would be a great addition. I’d love a more in-depth screen for searching, but if it’s a bar like the image below, I’d be fine with that too:

like an ‘in Experiences by matching in title’ option.

18 Likes

To be honest about these UGC titles, it’s on these creators for literally writing exact same item titles without much differences- by using just 1 name and sometimes few emojis. Maybe they did it for the current search situation but hopefully these creators will rename them to something more specific based on the item’s content rather than being so board and general name wise for the exact match search feature.

IMO it’s bad practice with naming your item, even if it’s just for discoverability because it massively decrease chance of your item being noticeable since it’s being crowded by other items with exact same names.

18 Likes

This is AMAZING, FINALLY! Searching is gonna be MUCH easier. Thank you guys for this amazing update!

16 Likes

I’ve noticed that the exact match search results usually seem to include at least one out of place game and I’m not sure why they show up…

I’ve check the games highlighted and I’m not sure why they are showing up with these exact matches. Are these sponsored games? Or is this an unintended side effect of the feature?

23 Likes

I disagree with your post, the discover search before this feature was horrible because it always show you big games/groups no matter what you put in the search bar. Even if you put something more specific- you still get irrelevant games, groups, etc anyways.

I’m very happy to hear that they finally listened to our complaints and fix this years-long issue. This is a good sign for Roblox being back on track with search situations, hopefully it will expand to groups, catalogs, models, and more. It can be a huge help with finding what you’re looking for specifically and easier.

17 Likes

Very very good and needed update! I would like to see where you can search for the game then put the creator/group name behind the name. Ex: “Capture The Flag, Capture The Flag Development”

19 Likes

It would be nice if we could also negate certain texts from the query using -“term”

At the moment, using two exact match queries (regardless of what is prefixed in front of them) will return an exact match.

If I wanted to search islands, but not cursed, at the moment it treats it like I wanted to search Islands AND cursed:

It would be nice to create queries that would follow query principles in other search engines, such as the following (I’m borrowing the syntax of Google’s query features here):

intitle:“” (an exact match of what is in the title of the item)
intext:“” (an exact match of what is in the description of the item)
+“” (would make the exact match query operate as an OR statement)
-“” (would make the exact match query operate as a NOT statement)
before:2023-06-15 (items updated before june 15th, 2023)
after:2023-06-15 (items updated after june 15th, 2023)

This is a great update, but I would still like additional query features to narrow our results even more.

20 Likes

To be honest, this is such a great idea for players to find original games and not copied ones.

18 Likes

Discoverability on this platform has been in such a poor state for the better half of a decade. Here’s hoping that this is the beginning of a series of improvements.

22 Likes

This will happen, apparently

15 Likes

While this is a good change, I believe that it will be severely underused by a majority of the user base due to requiring quotations. We know what the average robloxian is like :sob:

I think that it would be better if this was the default behavior, and after running out of matching experiences it should provide a “Similar Experiences” category/sort or something of the like.

21 Likes

Finally, this feature makes searching for a game much easier.

Anyways is there plans to add onto this feature such as searching games by a creator (ex. “CreatorName”) and possibly other parts of roblox as well? (Searching for things as Groups, Avatar Shop, Creator Marketplace, etc)

15 Likes

It probably indexes the title and description, or just the search system being dumb as usual.

12 Likes

I’m glad discovery is being looked into ?

This isn’t really the kind of changes I and many other developers were really looking for. This feature, while useful for those that know about it, is pretty pointless if the general player base doesn’t know about it.

I like the idea that @Reditect proposed, where a panel shows users the ability to do this. In my mind, there would be a meatball menu (Those three dotted panels) that would appear beside the ‘in Experiences tab’ that would reveal a list of extra search options, Exact Match included.

Heck, on the topic of searching, why don’t you bring extra options such as Genres, By Description, By User or Group, Verified Only, etc. We’ve been missing genres for years and we’ve been crying for them to be added back.

19 Likes

Why isn’t something like this implemented into main search, I guarantee you 99% of Roblox players will have no idea this exists.

I’ve always wanted more accurate search results, and I think it makes sense that exact results should appear first in most circumstances.

12 Likes

Bug report:
So I thought I’d try this out on some of my test places

The experiences name is “ManyNpcs”

Its published, it’s had a few visitors, it’s been live for months now.

And when I search for it I get nothing…

Why doesn’t this work?

14 Likes

Cool feature.

As some people stated before: there seem to be some false positives still, though I’m not sure. They might be “sponsored” games.

Looking forward to the discovery improvements!
But please keep this in mind when updating: Roblox’s Algorithm Changes Are Killing Our Game

9 Likes

could have added this earlier you know? implement this in the catalog as well.

11 Likes

I like this update it’s great. But I wish we can search with game genres, age rating, etc that would be great and I wish thumbnails that copy other games would be replaced with a default Roblox thumbnail, Not only is this stealing but it makes the search results ugly because you see row after row of the same thumbnail. Please take these into consideration
Screenshot 2023-06-16 012739
– Not sure who made this but someone is copying someone. Don’t wanna hate just saying

11 Likes