Introducing generalized shapecasts

This is something that I have wanted for the longest time. Debugging raycasts is so obnoxious and built in ways to visualize it would help so much.

9 Likes

EditableMesh only overwrites the visualization of the MeshPart, not physically, as of today. As a result, EditableMesh does not work with anything related to collisions. Thanks for reporting and please stay tuned on future updates on EditableMesh.

7 Likes

Hope to see this made to detect parts that initially intersect its shape soon, so that I can use it for my projectile hitboxes. :grin:

5 Likes

Apologies for the late response, I appreciate that PartCasts are here and I waited 269 DAYS for this, and I was about to make a module for that, but it’s officially released, In the mentioned use case of projectiles and mesh collisions, It is what I am planning to use the function for

thank you @subcritical for releasing something I waited for 269 days

3 Likes

wait, can you say how many days you waited again?

5 Likes

I waited exactly 269 days for the part cast thing [when this came, I didn’t read the post and refused to respond, and I thought it still didn’t come]

4 Likes

This has a lot of potential, but the hard thing is that when to use it. For example: the raycasting system has its own unique way. I usually care about hitbox system more so I think shapecast can be used for that but we already have the :GetPartsBoundInBox() so I don’t know.

6 Likes

It’s been a while, and while I did not find this to be an issue from the start, I’m realizing that being unable to choose a starting position for a shapecast is proving to be an issue.

Assume a situation in which you have a mesh that you are trying to cast from some tool. This mesh will only come out when nothing within a 6 stud distance collides with a shapecast of the mesh. This would be fine, except that the mesh would already have to be in the workspace. Which, in this situation, would not be a fun move. Instead, it would be much better to just have a position argument for the shapecast.

Out of curiosity, is this something that will be changed in the future - and if not, what’s the motivation behind doing so?

5 Likes

Is the collision margin issue/limitation resolved yet

2 Likes

im seriously questioning if we’re ever getting margins at this point

Well ill just chill for a little the shapecast updates take a while everytime

I have been waiting since late 2023 for margins so i can make a custom character controller :disappointed:

2 Likes

same, once margins get released I can almost guarantee that any game that takes itself seriously will use a custom character controller

1 Like

I’ve been working on my own custom collision for years with some success, but I can make it so good with this feature and margin support. Data about closest point while inside an object would be great to have to. I’m so tired of trying to find workarounds or overengineer something that should be already part of the engine.

1 Like

Hate how they advertised that this feature can be used for custom character controllers when margins are paramount for that

1 Like

It’s been a full year and a month since the initial release of Blockcast and Spherecast. Margins were recognized as an important missing feature from the start, and after all this time they still haven’t been added to the engine. Are there any updates on when we might get margins?

3 Likes

I need margins for my custom character system for my fps, as right now the custom physics system is not able to handle MeshPart collisions and instead treats them as a box. With this current system I am unable to release my game due to the inaccurate collisions.

To fix this I can use Blockcasts, but without margins they are unusable for my needs. Hence the reason for margins being the only thing holding back release of my game.

2 Likes

Hey, are there plans to let partcasts return multiple objects? It’s pretty hindering for these to only return a singular part. Can’t make efficient viewcones without it, leading me to use a pyramid mesh welded to an npc’s face that is uses the part.Touched to launch a bunch of raycasts that check if players aren’t obstructed, just to give them respectable eyesight. Probably real slow, and definitely annoying.

1 Like