Introducing in-experience Mesh & Image APIs [Studio Beta]

Really cool but it seems to think I got my Vector2s from wallmart:

43 Likes

whooo trackmania!
jokes aside, iā€™m very excited to try this out myself very soon! good work!

10 Likes

Weā€™ve had 6 Updates in 1 dayā€¦ Thatā€™s just Crazy, Amazing, and Exciting at the same time.

9 Likes

Awesome! just ported the quick 3D renderer I made to use editable images. I canā€™t state how cool this is.
(real time btw)

71 Likes

.Blend blend shapes :thinking:
What do you guys think?

8 Likes

shaderlike behavior in roblox
its beautiful

28 Likes

Man! i have been waiting for those APIs for so long now i can finally do things in real-time, I canā€™t be more happy!

The best Roblox update by far!

Although i have a question does EditableMesh support Gpu Instancing?

8 Likes

LETS GOOOO!

Can we please please please get an API for instantiating an editable image from a viewport frame, or from a canvasGroup perhaps?

You already have the texture data thereā€¦

30 Likes

Roblox news accounts are trembling in happiness as we got 4 updates in one day. Truly one of the greatest moments of all time.

Aside from that, Iā€™ve been waiting on this update for a long time now, thank you so much! However, I got a few questions about Image moderation and EditableImages:

• Will it automatically go through moderation when replication occurs? (For example, if I copy the EditableImage instance to the Workspace, it automatically sends the image to moderation? Or do you have to call an API like it is in the filtering system?)
  • Will we ever get an API or a way to get image data from existing Images without converting them into an EditableImage? Or from ViewportFrames/CanvasGroups?
11 Likes

This is one of the features Iā€™ve wanted to come to Roblox for almost 8 years now, so itā€™s awesome that itā€™s finally here! One thing Iā€™ve noticed while developing my little demo of this feature is that there appear to be memory leaks, which would cause Roblox Studio to slowly consume more and more memory as I developed it. For example, hereā€™s after generating a few meshes, unloading that place and going to an empty baseplate, and a fresh studio instance on an empty baseplate. This did reach the point where it started to force my computer to begin page swapping which wasnā€™t great, hehe.

20 Likes

In the initial version of this, just raycasting and getting UVs from the EditableMesh wonā€™t give you ideal results if you are painting something with a very complex UV map. This is especially true if you want to add a decal to something with a complicated UV map. Internally we have been working on a projection painting implementation that projects each individual pixel on to the texture based on the geometry of the Mesh and the UV map. This will hopefully be available early next year.

The main problem with this is that the information required to do this is not available for all textures. On the server, we never download any textures (except when you create an EditableImage). On some platforms, we download compressed versions of textures from the backend which we never decompress on the CPU side so the information isnā€™t easily available (especially in a scalable way).

17 Likes

The main reason why we havenā€™t already done this is because we also want to be able to support this use case on the server. This is necessary to make sure we are building it in a way that will allow for future replication and publishing use cases.

But I promise you we are thinking about it! (and we already have some very cool demos :slight_smile: )

26 Likes

I have been waiting for months for this dayā€¦
Every week I would look at the API changelogs and read about DynamicMeshes, and how they would eventually be renamed to EditableMeshes.

And now, itā€™s finally here. I canā€™t stress how many things you can make with the ability to edit on-runtime.

YES!!!

4 Likes

Would direct vertex manipulation perform better than manipulating a grid of bones on a large plane? I am working with skinned mesh oceans and am very curious if this would be a practical use case for EditableMeshes.

The mesh in question:

19 Likes

Regarding editable images can we please have a way to take a screenshot and then map it to a editable image.

7 Likes

Didnā€™t see this specifically mentioned but, will the 1024x1024 size limit on EditableImages be increased in the future?

5 Likes

please let us be able to union meshes PLEASE

5 Likes

You could make a mesh union system using this tech, might be complex and for proper use youā€™d have to wait for some of the limitations to be lifted, but having access to all the mesh data such as vertices means you could calculate union operations.

4 Likes

YES YES YES WOOHOOOOO!!! WEā€™VE BEEN WAITING FOR ALMOST 6 YEARS!! THANK YOU!

9 Likes

You have no idea how happy I am. We can now finally make pixel-based renderers/game engines within roblox!

I can now have a real-time raycaster engine casually running around 140FPS at 240x240 pixels

55 Likes