Introducing Login with a One-Time Code

Happy to confirm that this does not bypass 2FA, you can use the email code as a replacement for logging in with your username and password, but you still need a 2FA code from whatever device you use to provide that.

This should be added to FAQ, lots of people concerned about this detail.

6 Likes

Arguably this method could be even more prone to social engineering attacks. One could invite a player to a call where they share the screen, where the attacker gets the player to open their email for some reason (for example, “hey, I’m sending you a free robux code through email but I’m going to need to watch your screen to verify your identity → attempt a login attempt on the victim right before they open their email, snatch the code from the email preview.)

[edit: I’m aware this method would only give a one time access to a players account, but that’s all that’s needed to do serious damage like stealing place files, trading away limiteds, stealing robux, etc. Worse still an unsuspecting player could have someone with an active session into their account for an extended amount of time, if the player doesn’t realize they’ve been compromised and clear their sessions.]

6 Likes

idk, i find it simpler to remember my password rather then checking my email for a code, log in, then check my email again for another code for 2 factor

4 Likes

ikr? these days you need a email thats as secure as your credit card, its the key to verifying basically everything, if your email isn’t secure, that’s your problem lol.

5 Likes

Happy just a good times does have login with one time code ? but supposedly about support with authenticator codes, i am not sure to using it login with 2FA we don’t think anyone about to be able get phone number first though gonna be smart enough to giving random people (probably not) and issues for details does not by pass based 2FA, that was confirmed with another still need to login before devices to provide that more details.

Maybe just a good updated, honestly concerned about details in the next time.

5 Likes

OH. MY. GOD.

if your email is hijacked, hackers can access your account easily and steal your robux, limiteds (not all are tradeable) or buy premium to do these stuff above??? That’s far worse than Rektway’s inappropriate thumbnails and the Turkish ıI İi not making sense, and not everyone have a verified email, and some people have the same email on different accounts, making it harder to use (I don’t put emails on burner accounts I make for testing stuff)

THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A L UPDATE!!!

5 Likes

What are you talking about?
The traditional way to log in won’t go away, you won’t be forced to use an email.

And if your email is “hijacked”, there will be absolutely no difference, passwords can be changed using your email.

4 Likes

however, you don’t need a password for this type of logging in

2 Likes

You need the code that is sent to your email, being pretty much the same thing as resetting a password

5 Likes

Password reset requires 2FA. Like what? This also makes beaming easier.

3 Likes

This is nothing new nor exciting.

It’s close to the authenticator of logging, and it’s just weird. Not sure what the hype around this is. This is just another option to beam accounts, absolute garbage.

Please make sure this is OPTIONAL/CAN BE DISABLED.

4 Likes

Eh, not bad to be honest, i kinda like more ways to login to Roblox
And then made me think, why not add “login with Guilded”, just like when “login with Facebook” existed.

3 Likes

I’m looking forward to passkeys! :smile:

3 Likes

please rethink your comment again and test the feature before saying that logging into alts gets harder. if you do want to get your email hijacked and your roblox account not then setup totp.

if you arent trolling: use your brain

2 Likes

not roblox fault if people give there accounts away lol

1 Like

I do agree that this opens the door to new vulnerabilities/social engineering tricks due to the fewer amounts of steps. However, I must remind you all something: If someone hijacks your email, they can just reset the account password and log in anyway

So this doesn’t open that door specifically.

4 Likes

If you share your screen with somebody and just open your email, you are already compromised, no extra steps.

This is a lot worse than resetting my password, since with that the email doesn’t show the link and you have to open it and click a button.

This would require the scammer to know your email though, but I don’t think that’s it’s hard.

As some said this is basically 1FA since it just skips the step of entering your password to receive the code.

Luckily it does not bypass 2FA with authenticator, that’s good since I can’t find how to disable this.

2 Likes

im not trolling, My alt account got hacked because of that, this is proof:

2 Likes

I don’t understand how is this useful at all, if you forgot your password, you can reset it, you would have to access your email, so how is this different?

2 Likes

So your account got compromised because someone had access to your email?
How exactly is this update the fault? They could’ve accessed your account by resetting the password either way.