Introducing Plugin Script Modification Permissions

Nice to see how you are preventing virus plugins, this will definitely benefit newer devs. :slight_smile:

I have the same question as @TheCarbyneUniverse though.

Sure, being able to view the source would be a little helpful combatting malicious plugins, but that only helps developers with a solid scripting background. This also diminishes the idea of paid plugins, because now the source is out there and reuploading paid plugins will be trivial.

Although this would be cool. It would open the door to a lot of copy plugins

This can easily be abusable. A plugin should make it’s own functionality to do this.

See:

People are already copying plugins though. I think this is a separate issue not relevant to the OP.

I can see what you mean, however I think that this will not be easy to abuse, and any serious developer should be able to see through whatever the plugin claims. Perhaps an addition of a preview for the scripts would help keep this from happening?

Yes, people are already copying plugins, but making it so you can see all the plugin code would make it even easier for kids to make complete copies.

Either way this is a great step towards better security and less new developers being turned away because their game got ruined by a malicious plugin.

1 Like

Well, that’s certainly no excuse to enable plugin copycats even more.

This update is about all that’s needed. A building plugin doesn’t need to insert scripts or modify source code. The plugins that do modify source code are almost always open source on github from my experience.

1 Like

I disagree, as repeatedly updating the plugin would make a change like this quite annoying. I think that most malicious plugins are created maliciously, and I don’t think any plugin is updated to be malicious. There might be a couple exceptions, however I think in the grand scheme, this will not be very useful.

1 Like

Perhaps along with this could be a script previewer that would allow you to preview the scripts inserted.

1 Like

I could see this being a concern with plugins creating fake alerts, and I think this is a valid concern. Perhaps one way this could be fixed is that plugins under review could be kept from inserting GUI, which would keep this from happening.

If you read the post properly you would’ve seen they mentioned a way to change your choice via the plugin management window

I think we should be able to choose this behavior ourselves. A checkbox for “Persist after updates” or something would suffice. Those of us concerned about our plugins going rogue won’t have to worry.

2 Likes

Yes, but what I’m wondering is will this allow all the plugins to do everything, or just allow a certain plugin after you accidentally chose a setting you didn’t want.

I agree, a couple of settings in perhaps Studio Settings, or plugin management would be useful for people who want heightened security, and for people who want the security to be lower. This could allow for turning off the update entirely, or resetting all of the allowed/rejected requests.

You can already see the source of any plugin installed in the InstalledPlugins folder.

This seems to have broken my own plugins, as the button for them will not open the UI anymore. It also seems to have deleted a lot of the core gui plugin UI storage for no reason at all.

1 Like

Uninstalling them and reinstalling them did not work.

about time! finally the pesky backdoors can go away. (mostly)

1 Like

For both this permission tool, as well as HTTP permissions, can we get an ‘allow once’ or ‘allow this session’ option? Some plugins only need to do stuff like this rarely (e.g. to pull a cached list); similar to iPhone’s location permission settings and most browser’s permission settings.

1 Like