Introducing the Ban API and Alt Account Detection

well to ignore complications they should make a :GetBannedUserIds() to just return an array of everyone who is banned, and also a :GetBannedInfo(userid: number) to reques info on the banned userid. tho this might then make complications with api limits.

1 Like

ik(i think :skull:) that the windows unique id resets each time you do a factory reset. idk abt the mac adress tho.

2 Likes

Only metric they currently use for alts is MAC address.
Which still is not bad, but the current implementation is bricked. Like it legit does not work.

1 Like

Out of the hundreds we’ve banned using this new Ban API I am yet to see it work with a single alt account :cry: .

4 Likes

How do I remove a player from ban if it perm?

1 Like

Ahh that is really usefull previously you’d have to use messaging service

1 Like

Cannot wait to introduce the Ban API into my upcoming game, as I experienced from previous games that people would just join on alternative accounts just to continue what they were doing beforehand. Great update!

1 Like

The moderator field is automatically added based on how the API was called. If you call the Open Cloud API directly, it will find the moderator name based on the scope of the API key. If you call it via the engine API, it will say something like “game server.”

I will look into the text filter issue here. For the time being, I would encourage you to avoid having the date time within DisplayReason, as we already display that in the error message to the user. Currently, it shows the time remaining on their ban, but soon it will display a localized date time.

2 Likes

To construct a permaban with the OpenCloud API, simply omit the duration field.

2 Likes

Yeah, I just realized that it says to just not define it for it to be permanent. Would there be plans in the future to implement the end date being in days, months, or years using d, m, or y?

2 Likes

lets go guys we can make a script to ban lankybox from are games

2 Likes

This is one of the best updates Roblox has made by far. I was just wondering how alt detection works, well obviously they would not share that, but is it actually something to rely on? I have seen way too many replies saying that alt detection does not work at all. If alt detection is fixed and is actually viable this is by far one of the best updates and I hope Roblox starts pushing out even more amazing updates for developers!

1 Like

Private Reasons for unbans would be useful.

1 Like

I would love to see a sort of game.Players.BannedUserAdded or something similar, but this could just be me

3 Likes

@oopsiemachine
We have implemented the ban API into our game and it really doesn’t seem to be handling alts. They just log out and log back in to a different account and it just fails to detect them. Are there any plans to address the holes with this system and account for the most common case of alting which is rage-alting/account hopping?
The system needs some kind of short-term elevated protection that takes this into consideration as majority of trolls will try to hop to 5 different accounts before they get bored. Right now it just seems to let them in no problem unfortunately.

4 Likes

Yes, we will be pushing for the alt accounts to be more reliable by adding more signals.

6 Likes

The good thing is that this function exists, the bad thing is… How can I replace the default Roblox ban message with a different one? Example: If the player is temporarily banned I want him to teleport to a place, while if the player is permanently banned he will teleport to another place.

2 Likes

@oopsiemachine
We had a player who tried to join our game on his account A, but was rejected with a message referring to an alt account ban. However, there is no ban history on the account A. I would expect all of his accounts to have a record of being banned on any of them. Surely this information is needed for an appeal review. There could be an additional field in GetBanHistoryAsync to indicate which account the ban actually came from.
Also, the Unban method treats a main and alt account differently, while we have no clear definition of the main. We would prefer to unban only the main account and leave all the other accounts banned, but we do not know which is which. Maybe you can add an additional argument to UnbanAsync to indicate whether or not related alternate accounts should be unbanned.
Thanks a lot for this much needed API, and also for the exceptionally well written post and documentation.

5 Likes

Alright thank you. Do you plan on changing the ban message based on the feedback you got on it? :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like