[Full Release] Introducing the Pathfinding Links for NPCs

This is insane! Games will from now on be a lot more immersive, especially those that are more solo-play that depend on NPCs to create a social and fun game.

Great update! Great work everyone who worked on this!

5 Likes

Smarter NPCs in roblox? nahh… unbelievable.

The ability to use pathfinding on air and water… No… I dont believe this.

Climbing Ladders, Nah bro stop lying.

Thats how I felt on this topic, But damn now we can make better use of PathfindingService.

Questions… does it work with planes?

7 Likes

It will work with a lot of vechicles yet a plane would be pretty difficult.

2 Likes

Pretty sure they’ll fix it. And, hey! It’s in beta! What did you expect?

1 Like

I’m assuming you’re asking if the pathfinding service can make a path in the air. Well, no it can’t. The pathfinding service is meant to make paths on the ground. Pathfinding links make it possible for npcs to climb ladders, sit on vehicle seats, jump over gaps, switch positions, etc.

5 Likes

Pathfinding itself is not in beta, the Pathfinding Links are the ones in beta. Waypoints ending up inside the terrain has always been a problem with the PathfindingService.

4 Likes

This offers so much in the realm of immersion and gameplay mechanics for NPCs. Absolutely brilliant. Major kudos for these recent pathfinding enhancements.

e2f200e836585badb185f09d44a8366a
He can now get out of the pit all by himself. They grow up so fast. :sob:

38 Likes

Well that’s what I meant.
And now I understand. Never used PathfindingService so didn’t know it actually had to do with the service itself and not the beta one.

Have a nice day!

2 Likes

Is there anyway to make the line bigger or at least change the colour?

I can barely see the visual. It took me a minute to realise.

I don’t these pathfinding links seems to work well with the ladders when attachments are in terrain though.

All in all great update. I guess those bugs will be ironed out soon enough.

5 Likes

NPCS become Players?!

I thought NPCs are just standing robloxians that do nothing aside from walking and jumping.

3 Likes

Seems like npcs aged from 2 year olds to 6 year olds :slight_smile:

I’m glad, this can also be used for many things that are very useful for NPCS, or simply in-game machines with AI.

I used this and now I made a team of npcs get onto an open-door mini-plane, and the mini-plane uses pathfinding links to drive to a destination, upon arrive the npcs use pathfinding and start searching homes as if it was like a military practice. Great job!

5 Likes

npcs becoming players [NEW ENDING]

jokes aside, this is actually useful.

5 Likes

This new pathfinding stuff could be very helpful

3 Likes

NPC becoming smart?
oh man i really love this update,is just insane!!!

3 Likes

Thanks for you feedback. We will make the line and circles more visible. Regarding the attachment, we are aware of this issue, we are working on the fix.

8 Likes

It looks good👍. I just have a game where my NPC can’t find a way, even if it’s physically convenient to jump.
And that’s how it is on almost every jump.
It’s great that it’s going to be done manually. :grinning:
It would just be necessary to improve the ability to find a way through places where he has to jump. Because it’s going to be a long job when it’s easy to jump into a place, but it doesn’t find a way.

3 Likes

It doesn’t seem to be working if the attachments are too far away from each other.

1 Like

Thank you ROBLOX Staff, I’m sure someone will make something cool with this. Definitely going to play with this feature!

1 Like

YESSS!!! Finally, I have been waiting for this feature for sooo long. Thank you!!

1 Like

Just wondering, is it possible to ask if the Pathfinding Links Beta can be enabled for your game?

I’ve done some things with it and there doesn’t happen to be any issues as far as I know (with the exception of waypoints being inside terrain and the part where certain paths have waypoints spammed next to each other in less than approx. 0.01 studs apart from each other, which I have trouble reproducing)

Would be cool if I can start using the Pathfinding Links in-game

2 Likes