Introducing UIDragDetectors [Studio-only Beta]

This is really nice, but I think I might’ve found a bug. I don’t know why this happens but here’s the hierarchy of my current setup:

When hitting the play game button, everything is fine but the UIDragDetectors doesn’t work. I’ve also set each property correctly.

The fix that worked for me was to manually set the BoundingUI property to the correct one again using the studio tools. Scripting it to set it to nil and back to the correct one doesn’t fix it. Manually or scripting to disable and enable it again also doesn’t work.

Hopefully this will be a useful information. Or maybe I’ve been doing it wrong? Idk. I’ve just started tinkering with this new feature.

Do you think you can send me a .rbxm of the UI? I’ll try to test it out locally and see what the issue is.

Is there an estimated release date for this feature and, as per my PM, do you know who I should contact with regards to the deprecated private modules?

when will it be not studio-only feature?

I forgot to check this topic. Sorry to keep you waiting!

Here’s the .rbxm file:
ui.rbxm (20.2 KB)

Hopefully this can be useful at identifying if it’s a user bug or an engine bug.

Quick little discovery that I’ve just found, enabling and disabling the “Select” tool also fixes it for some reason. The default state that I had is none of the tools being activated.

When is the live release… it has been almost 2 months

Also I found a bug where when dragging on mobile (surfacegui) the thumbstick will still function, so you can’t really drag an ui that is close to the thumbstick

Please add a value convert. Scripting them was a little bit tough.

This is cool. I can see this being used in new ways in stuff that is already made to make it more easier or fun.

Please release it into roblox client also as a beta feature… We don’t want to test it. We want to USE it.

Ah yes, having a tool selected disables the usage of UIDragDetectors. Same goes for plugins, although that will change to being disabled only when UIEditor specifically is on, soon.

Which values did you need converting between-- GuiLayercollector space to reference / parent?

Additionally, for client release timelines-- I’m happy to announce that it’s finally looking like it will be enabled in client soon-ish (1-2 weeks).

I apologize for how long it has taken-- I’ll have some updates here this week for new features that needed to be implemented first.

1 Like

This is interesting-- we’ll take a look into it. Thank you for the report.

1 Like

So, the UI Drag detectors doesnt seem to work in plugin widgets until I use them somewhere else, then they somehow start working again. Here’s a video

So, basically what happens here is:

• I cant use the drag detectors, doesn’t detect any input.
  • I get out of the plugin widget, I drag the frame inside the Drag screengui which has a UIDragDetector with default properties.
  • It dissapears and moves 5,000 pixels
  • Everything works fine :DD

It’s so weird, It’s funny because have this screengui already prepared only as a ritual before using the plugin XD

I get the exact same behaviour.
Also happend when creating a whole new screengui + frame inside a baseplate.

Weird :thinking:

Only happends before runtime though, Inside playmode everything works as normal.

It moving 5000 pixels and disappearing is concerning and I’ve had reports of it-- I haven’t been able to reproduce it but it is something I’m continuously checking for.

As for usage during plugins: At the moment, it’s disabled for use when a tool or any plugin is active.

Next week’s release will come with a patch that disables it only when tools or the UIEditor plugin is active, so that should resolve the issue.

1 Like

It might have something to do with the UI editor conflicting with UIDragDetector.

This only happens when I use them somewhere where I can also edit the UI (StarterGui).

It doesnt happen in play mode, in plugin widgets, in ScreenGuis inside CoreGui, it only happens in StarterGui in Edit Mode, which is also the only place where I can edit and resize the frame

Also this only happens when the UI editor is not active, but that might be because as you said, it gets disabled if a tool is active

are they relaced for the client yet?