Introducing UniversalConstraint

this is cool, I only played around with ropes but I wouldn’t mind trying to do more with the constraints.

1 Like

Beginners can see how the balance remains out of balance when specifying points.
“It is difficult to set the exact point”

I will probably not use this but I am excited to see the ways people use this constraint.

2 Likes

Awesome update! I like the way that roblox is focussing on physics. Im soo excited to create a swing with this :smiley:

1 Like

Amazing new constraint! I can’t wait to crash my studio doing very epic things with the new constraint! :laughing:

1 Like

You could also do Thor and his hammer Mjolnir as it would work in a similar way :wink:

2 Likes

Mmmm!
This will come in handy.

1 Like

You can do that with Ropes ig?

1 Like

Not really…

Using ropes will cause the block to glitch out (as you can see from the blue block, which uses ropes). While using UniversalContraints (orange block) causes glitch-free, smooth movement when rotating the block.

3 Likes

Awesome can’t wait to experiment with this, also when are saddle joints coming if at all?

1 Like

Oh, now I see. Ropes are only used for certain things. I thought it would work lol

1 Like

This will be very helpful for builders/scripters.

Hey @mileniux89, is the Visible Property going to be shown in-game or is it just a Studio thing?
It’d be neat to have them actually show up!

For now we don’t have a good in game visual for this constraint. Maybe in the future.

Something like this?
I just Unioned this up quickly when building my front end loader. I was planning on making it a Mesh to clean it up. It’s a working universal with 2 HingeConstraints in the ball in the center. The driveshaft spins when the wheels turn and it’s located at the hinge point between the front and rear sections so it bends when the loader turns.

3 Likes

Using HingeConstraint to manually building a universalConstraint may work just fine if you tune the important parameters very precisely, but this is not generally recommended since this approach may cause some numerical issues such as high mass ratio. The new UniversalConstraint, however, will not encounter such issues and is more efficient (in terms of body/constraint count) comparing to the approach you mentioned.
Regarding the in-game visualization you should be able to apply the same strategy with meshes that you already had and use UniversalConstraint instead. We will consider adding such visualization to the UniversalConstraint in the future.

Sweet!
The universal joint I created is only visual eye candy for my loader. All the Parts & Unions involved are Massless and it doesn’t carry any type of torque load, it just spins driven by a HingeConstraint Motor that is set to drive at a relative speed as the vehicle’s wheel HingeConstraints.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.