Is it necessary to use Delta Time on the server for this specific use case?

My question is simple: is it necessary to use Delta Time on the server. The reason why I am asking this is to see if running certain functions at certain rates needs delta time. However, it makes it harder to do this check with delta time.

My question is: if I can maintain perfect server performance (no “Slow Server” or high ping caused from server overload), do I need to implement Delta Time. And even if for whatever reason I dont maintain perfect server performance, do I still need it.

If anyone is confused about my use of heartbeat on the server, its basically this:

Every 1 second, call aRandomFunction
Every 5 seconds, call AnotherRandomFunction
Every 1/60 of a second, call YetAgainAnotherFunction

Sorry to have to ask but have you tried both on and off options to see for yourself the end result?
This site encourages experimenters to try out things and publish the results so others can see what works and what doesn’t.

Yep, especially if you are going for really small intervals like 1/60 of a second and you really want to guarantee a function runs at that interval.

For that really small interval where it’s highly prone to frame rate changes an accumulator will be necessary ex: from delta time tutorial.

Example if you don’t use delta time with gun fire rate being slow. Same should apply on the server since it’s all variable fps and Runservice applies both client and server.

2 Likes

I think I don’t understand it correctly.
DeltaTime is time it took to render one frame. The use case of this value is calculating the speed of bullet for example, or something which should stay in constant speed even when framerate is lower or higher.

For intervals you could use simple time calculations using tick().