Is it possible to create active ragdolls on Roblox? How might I approach that?

i try to make it walk I think its possible and the ik option doenst exist sadly

Hey guys, thanks for the sudden burst of interest. I was away while you were popping off, so I’ll take the time to reply now:

A few days after my OP, I actually managed to get some form of R15 active ragdoll similar to what @Linesgamer12 set out, with a “fake” physically simulated character model that continuously tries to emulate the player character’s appearance with AlignOrientations and BallSocketConstraints. It was working reasonably well but unfortunately, I forgot to save it, or did I? I might have a lost save file somewhere on my PC, so I’ll go digging. The thing also had several major problems:

• Its feet were extremely slippery, and anchoring the HRP’s position to the PC’s position wouldn’t achieve the effect I desired. The slipperiness also meant it couldn’t climb up even very light slopes.
  • Because its positions were rigidly targeted to be those of my PC rig, it wouldn’t ever have the same level of realism shown in the video.

I do think the BallSocketConstraint and Align constraint path is the right one, but it needs considerably more exploration than what has been done so far.

2 Likes

@AlphaEpsilon290 and @noisecooldeadpool362
You need something like euphoria which is really complex but it is not rocket science

That’s the thing, you can not achieve Euphoria on roblox because it doesn’t have the tools it uses, implementing things like muscle control will be laggy and is definitely not possible on roblox with all of the issues it can create, hence u need to mimic it in a way that replicates what euphoria mostly does but not perfectly what Euphoria should be doing.

You are a genius bro, I have been trying to create an active ragdoll similar to the TABS strategy game, I was not getting good results but your method helped me a lot, and when it comes to animations there are no bugs or anything like that if it is configured correctly

Sorry for the poor quality of the video, I had to compress it because the original video gave the page an error and it didn’t upload

For this character I did not use any type of programming, I only programmed the walking animation, the rest is done with ropes, ballsockets, and position and orientation aligners configured so that they work well

9 Likes

My method of making active ragdolls is to have a spring constraint pull the hand toward a target attachment. (the target attachment is parented to the shoulder and the hand attachment is parented to the lower part of the arm or hand if there is one.) I drew a picture in case you don’t understand it clearly:

1 Like

hi, could u please share it, like im trying to make it in a while but i can never get to get it working

1 Like

same here im questioning how to set up the ropes correctly

Ill make a example rq (lorem lorem lorem :sob: )

sure I’m going to send you a map with 2 units already complete, you may get errors on the slash, that’s because I forgot to put the audio of The Sword Attack, you can also control a unit by looking at some part of its body and press f

FightRagdoll.rbxl (108,5 KB)

2 Likes

If you don’t understand something you tell me, my code can be confusing since it’s because I’m working on my project by myself and that’s why I haven’t organized it or left some comments

Another problem you’re going to have is the animations, since my animations aren’t public

How do i make it NOT client sided and make it using starter character?

Hey there! I am currently facing issues regarding this topic and was wondering whether you’d reached a solution? I’m not sure if @noobstickerman’s project isn’t working since it is just AI that doesn’t animate itself walking and I’d really like to get Active Ragdoll working. Thank you!

Hey there, it is absolutely possible!

you set up a normal ragdoll first, then you use either torsion springs, align orientation, or tween the ball joint’s/hinges constraints to create movement!

Hope this helps.

This could be a breakthrough for anyone of us still interested. I’m definitely still interested in getting a proper, non-jank way of physically simulated active ragdolls so I’m excited for what’s coming later this year.

2 Likes

That is very, very interesting… :eyes: