Is it Worthwhile to Export Unions into Mesh Format?

As the header suggests, I’m wondering whether or not I should be exporting the unions in my games into a Mesh Format. I acknowledge that unions can be unreliable at times, but I don’t really know if I should spend my time exporting each union then re-importing as a mesh. Does it have a significant impact on performance, and does it really improve the experience of players? I’d hopefully like to have a pretty lag-free experience for players, so any help is great, thanks.

2 Likes

It only has impact on performance if you make an effort to optimize the mesh parts. Unions can indeed be unreliable, but they’re also easier to change within Roblox if you value that.

It shouldn’t matter much which option you choose unless your game has a lot of parts already (an existing poor performance on lower-end devices) or if you’re aiming to make your game super accessible, even to outdated devices.

5 Likes

Hey @Choco_Iate!

Quick Answer: No

In short, it’s better to have a greater part count that is adequately dispersed and spaced out than it is to have a lower part count that is primarily composed of un-optimized meshes or unoptimized meshes.

A lot of people forget what unions are made for originally, they’re to create advanced objects that couldn’t have been made prior with ROBLOX primitives (parts, wedges, spheres, cylinders). There are many usecases for unions, however the usecase you’re defining isn’t going increase the performance of your game.

Additional resources I’ve written in the past that also help answer the question:

Conclusion

Don’t throw computer generated geometry into another software, and throw in back into ROBLOX and expect good results without actually editing the meshes. Good luck, hope this helped!

2 Likes

As far as I understand, unions and meshes instance the same. Importing/exporting unions as a result would not change performance.

It may be better to have them as a mesh to avoid issues with unions disappearing (if that’s still a thing.) Maybe if you want to optimize your union in Blender, it may be easier than in Roblox (but I have never done this, so this is speculation.)

Importing/exporting unions to Blender and then back to Roblox as meshes has a main advantage (as a builder) of being able to scale it as a mesh, not as a union which scales as a model.