_ is not a valid member of model when it clearly is

I absolutely hate using Instance:WaitForChild() though, I don’t like spamming it, and second the Touched event ran but the weld creation didn’t, so it isn’t a loading issue.

Give it a shot to see if it works however as I have experienced this error before and it was fixed with that.

1 Like

Don’t shoot down a legitimate solution by stating you “hate” it.

WaitForChild may be your only solution here or it could be a typo/hierarchy dispute since you didn’t include a screenshot of your explorer.

2 Likes

if he doesnt want to use waitforchild then he can simply put

repeat wait() until orb1:FindFirstChild("Core")

I just don’t like using it, doesn’t mean I won’t try it.

I don’t use repeat wait() loops because it’s bad practice to use them, it’s basically the same thing as Instance:WaitForChild().

Read this post by @Kampfkarren and you’ll probably never want to use wait() again.

I’m talking about wait() by the way, not wait(n).

I don’t mind the inaccuracies.

It’s better than using delay(function() as a wait, in fact that itself is far worse.
Also, wait is pretty useful when used properly.

I’d rather use wait than doing this:

local t = tick()
while true do
    if tick()-t > 5 then
        print("reached")
        break
    end
end

I don’t mind it at all.

1 Like

If you are not open to using certain functions, then the things you can do will be extremely limited.

2 Likes

You will get a really high memory loss, I don’t recommend doing that, just use the roblox functions, that’s why they are there.

Precisely why I use wait()…

You didn’t get what I meant, I meant that it’s better to use the “WaitForChild()” function as it is already developed by roblox and it doesn’t have memory loss.

I am open to most of the functions/events of Roblox, it’s just this one function that I just don’t like using. I still use it when I absolutely have to though.

There isn’t really anything wrong with that function… It exists so you could wait for an object to load, rather than setting a specific wait time such as wait(n).

xKai said " I don’t use repeat wait() loops because it’s bad practice to use them, it’s basically the same thing as Instance:WaitForChild() ."

So basically either both have memory loss or either have none.

There are times when I have to use WaitForChild and wait… also wait is developed by roblox…

Can you show us a screenshot of how the model looks like in the explorer? I think I know the issue.

When you use :Wait(), the code passes the statement as soon as the function is ready, when you use repeat wait() you wait even if that certain condition is met, that’s why I don’t use repeat wait() loops anymore, because there is usually a :Wait() event that can do the same thing, just better.

You shouldn’t script something inefficient knowing there’s a better way to do it, it just doesn’t make sense.

1 Like

I know, but the
repeat until loop is the part of the memory loss

If that’s a concern to you why not just rewrite the wait() function so that it’s reliant on tick and Heartbeat?

local RunService = game:GetService("RunService")
local wait = function(waitTime)
	local startTime = tick()
	repeat RunService.Heartbeat:Wait() until startTime+waitTime < tick()
	return tick()-startTime, elapsedTime()	
end
1 Like

You guys can discuss this but my thoughts are to use whatever is given by roblox because it’s safe and there are ways of preventing memory leaks.

1 Like

Here 'ya go.

Kinda messy.