Is profile service better than normal data store?

Basically, I recently switched over to using profile service for my data. I was wondering if it’s truly better then normal datastoreservice.

ProfileService is a great module that already utilizes DataStoreService. I personally use it to benefit from session locking, one of many advantages of using this open-sourced module.

It’s just simply a useful extension to the normal datastores you would already use. Whether or not you think it’s “better” would depend on if you think the features that it offers are worth it or not switching from your current method of utilizing datastores.

If the question was, is ProfileService better than Datastore2 (the comparison would make much more sense), then my opinion, and answer, would be that ProfileService is the best alternative coming from someone who’s used both.

Well, ProfileService is now compatible with DataStore2 so in my opinion it seems like ProfileService would possibly take the win.

To clarify, Datastore2 which is another datastore-related module, not to be confused with Datastore v2.0, which is a recent update to DataStoreService.

Yes, ProfileService utilizes Datastore v2.0 which is another great advantage.

Oh ok. I thought when I saw people saying Datastore v2 they meant Datastore2. My apologies. Personally, Datastore2 seemed much harder to understand. ProfileService I can benefit from their source code since I can actually understand whats going on.

2 Likes