Is setting an account age limit for your game allowed?

A game I help develop has recently got itself a big exploiter problem, and banning them doesn’t do much because they can easily just make alt accounts. We (the developers) have considered putting a small account age limit to prevent easily making alts, however I have been told by some people that this isn’t allowed. From my understanding it was a rule put in place to prevent games from discriminating against guests, who wouldn’t be able to join if you did such a thing. My question is, now that guests are gone, is this rule still in effect? If so are there other measures we could take to prevent exploiters in the future?

3 Likes

I have seen many games that have your account age shown above your head, in games revolving around cafes or resturants, its a way to definetly see something like that, in my opinion thats alright

While it can be seen as a form of discrimination, I personally don’t think it’s an issue if you set a relatively low age, such as maybe 20 or 30 days. In many games I’ve been a part of, especially in the RP community, account age requirements are almost a given due to the exploiter problem.

At the same time though, if your game is this vulnerable to exploits, maybe you should look at your scripts and think about restructuring how your game works. Take a look here to help understand how exactly an exploiter could gain unauthorized access to certain parts of your game, and how you can script to defend against it.

10 Likes

Account age limits are still a gray area and have never been explicitly allowed or denied - the rule is just less gray than not due to the absence of guests.

In reality, if you’re having an exploiter problem, you should be focused on fixing your game. An account age minimum does nothing good for your game realistically, it’s a band-aid solution and those don’t typically stay on long.

5 Likes

Since guests have been removed long ago, it is less gray than not. Putting low ages like BreadyToCrumble said would be better, and Roblox Staff probably wont care much about your game or your account, but it is best you just create an anti-virus and anti-malware from scratch as it is still a form of discrimination.

This is a band-aid solution to a larger problem, as has already been stated. In addition, a lot of exploiters already have a huge amount of alternate accounts, so I’m not sure this would actually be helpful.

Roblox always ruled against games that kicked Guests, so I would assume they’d have a similar attitude on this.

It’s also bad for your game, as new players will join and be instantly kicked - the likelihood is that this will stop them from ever returning.

3 Likes

You said, “The likelihood is that this will stop them from ever returning”.
Yes, until they get the correct age to enter the game.

Odds are they won’t bother returning ever - you only get one chance at a first impression, and if that impression is being kicked because you’re new to the platform, that’s bad.

1 Like

I already said that.
Yes, they will never bother returning again as they will probably still think it will kick them.

Your reply is actually pretty different from plasmascreen’s and it’s an inaccurate assertion to make. There’s a difference between

and

Whether a user returns or not is completely based on their own experiences and wishes to attempt playing again. Some may keep trying, some may wait patiently, others might give up with your game there and then.

Saying there’s a guarantee they won’t return is wrong, because there are cases where players do return or wait long enough to be able to pass the system. It’s also pretty bad in terms of giving hope to other developers if they’re influenced by this comment.

Stay positive. There are players who will wait. All in all however, whether they return or not, locking by age is a terrible band-aid and doesn’t resolve anything. Fix your game.

You aren’t staff, so I wouldn’t assert this kind of comment. Policies don’t always change when platform updates are made. It’s better to be safe than sorry and not assume that you’re suddenly allowed to ruin player experiences with an age floor. That and chance moderation action.

2 Likes

I 'm not a staff member but still know some stuff, and guests have been removed long ago. Yes it is still gray but less due to guests being terminated.
I didn’t mean not all were NOT going to return, only the percentage that rage about this etc.
I’m not the best at explaining and you may be right, but let’s take it. It will never be allowed due to discrimination. We have went way too far into detail and need to stop before this reply section gets flooded.

Whether it’s viable or permitted should have no merit in your decision. This is very poor practice as it gives your game an unwelcoming impression to new players. After its implementation, you may even stumble upon an increase of exploiters who will mark this down as a challenge; which as you might imagine could be quite problematic.

2 Likes