Is there a way I can pick a random local value that is listed in a script?

I have a script that picks a random position on the map. in it there is a list of usable positions:

function pickrandomspawnpoint()

math.randomseed(tick()%1*1e6)
    local choose = math.random(1,5)
	local part = script.Parent

local pos1 = part.Position
	local pos2 = part.Position + Vector3.new(10,0,0)
	local pos3 = part.Position + Vector3.new(20,0,0)
	local pos4 = part.Position + Vector3.new(30,0,0)
	local pos5 = part.Position + Vector3.new(40,0,0)

end

while true do
	wait(10)
	pickrandomspawnpoint()
end

I cant seem to figure out how to pick a random value listed above.
I wanted to do something like this:

local numberindex = 1 --the number at the end of each "pos" value--
local pickedval = "Pos"..numberindex --the current "pos" value--

is there a way to use this kind of method on local values? I don’t want to create a list of Stringvalues inside a folder as I want everything to be taken care of in this one script.

2 Likes

Yes, you can make a table with the values and then use the Random object to generate a random index with the max value being the length of the table.

1 Like

could you show me? I don’t know what kind of for loop to use in order to iterate through a table of values based on what math.random picks?

You don’t need to iterate through the table, you just have to index a random number starting from 1 and ending with the table length like so:

local Spawns = {Vector3.new(1,2,3), Vector3.new(4,5,6), Vector3.new(7,8,9)}

local function GetRandomValue(tbl)
	return tbl[Random.new:NextInteger(1, #tbl)]
end

print(GetRandomValue(Spawns)) -- Will return a random value from the table, spawns

Then to incorporate this into your script:

while true do
	wait(10)
	script.Parent.Position = GetRandomValue(Spawns) 
end
1 Like

any way to fit in the random seed? I use it along with math.random because it tends to pick the same thing over and over in the studio without it, unless roblox fixed this?

I need to know what type of index you’re using, I’m assuming it’s an array, if that’s the case, then here’s what you do:

local positions = {Vector3.new(0,0,0), Vector3.new(1, 2, 3)} -- table looks like this
local random = Random.new() -- the roblox random class, it's more random.
local positionIndex = random:NextInteger(1, #positions) -- get the index of the table
local newPosition = positions[positionIndex] -- reference that value of the table

Or if it’s a dictionary, you’d do the same thing, except you’d add the key to a table and chose a random key and then index the value.

Only do this if your table looks like this local Table = {Noob = "Hi"}

local positions = {Position1 = Vector3.new(1, 2, 3), Position2 = Vector3.new(4, 5, 6)}
local keyTable = {} -- use to store the "Position[#]" key.  Looks like this: {"Position1", "Position2"}
for key, _ in pairs(positions) do -- there's no point in storing the value
	table.insert(keyTable, key) -- prepping for random selection
end

local random = Random.new() -- the roblox random class, it's more random.
local index = keyTable[random:NextInteger(1, #keyTable)]
local positionIndex = keyTable[index]  -- get the index of the table
local newPosition = positions[positionIndex] -- reference that value of the table

In the random class, there is no need for a random seed, it already generates a seed.

The first argument of Random.new is the seed. You should be able to call it with your own seed. You can read more about the random library here: Random | Documentation - Roblox Creator Hub

also, there seems to be an error in your script, line 20, attempting to index field ‘new’ a function value

here is the script I modified:

local part = script.Parent
	local pos1 = part.Position
	local pos2 = part.Position + Vector3.new(10,0,0)
	local pos3 = part.Position + Vector3.new(20,0,0)
	local pos4 = part.Position + Vector3.new(30,0,0)
	local pos5 = part.Position + Vector3.new(40,0,0)
	local Spawns = {pos1,pos2,pos3,pos4,pos5}

local function GetRandomValue(tbl)
	return tbl[Random.new:NextInteger(1, #tbl)]
end

while true do
	wait(1)
	print(GetRandomValue(Spawns))
end

Forgot the parenthesis, my bad. Replace Random.new:NextInteger(1, #tbl) with Random.new():NextInteger(1, #tbl)

Why don’t you just pick a random position by doing something like this :
associate positions as values with each index, so there would be many ways to do what you want.

Positions = {

[1]  = Vector3.new(10,0,0);
 [2]  = Vector3.new(20,0,0);
 [3]  = Vector3.new(30,0,0);
 [4]  = Vector3.new(40,0,0);

}
   local ChosenPosition
   local randomNumber =     math.random(1,#Positions)
   print(randomNumber)--maximum number will be 4
         ChosenPosition = Positions[randomNumber]
    part.Position = part.Position + ChosenPosition --or something

or are you looking for something else?

3 Likes

I like this method as its not only smaller and simpler, but it also fits in better with pre existing code.

1 Like

@mantorok4866, Here’s the issue, math.random is outdated, Random.new() is far newer and is much more random. I HIGHLY encourage you to switch to the new random class.

This post explains it far better than I could:

This post is old and the knowledge presented in this thread isn’t as certain - you can see by the way I offer up my responses. I’ve since come to better understand the difference between math.random and Random.new. Reference some of my newer responses for proper information.

Two recent examples:

2 Likes

for me, it’s not making it random every time. the first one is random and then it stays at the first random position.

ok but how can i make it be a new random position everytime. it only ever does it the first time around.