Is there a way to get good collisions on mesh parts?

I am making a golf game using roblox physics, and need very smooth slopes, ramps, pipes, etc. I tried some free meshes for testing my ball system, but the collisions are terrible. I want to know if its possible to get very accurate collisions on meshes of these shapes before I go making my own.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Off-topic and bump posts

Quick search is your friend.

2 Likes

Quickest and easiest way is to export as many “subdivisions” from your model.
For instance a tree, instead of exporting it as a total, export it into three separate meshes:

• The log
  • The branches
  • The leaves

And also hitboxes usually follow the horizontal line of the mesh.
(So try and keep the mesh as concentrated as possible)

1 Like

What do you mean?

2 Likes

As in if you make an object that, for instance is a box, and then you extend the bottom of the box a lot on the horizontal line, it may become a bigger and unstable hitbox.

1 Like

Currently, Roblox doesn’t have a good collision system for meshes but there are a few workarounds depending on the size of your mesh and how many separate meshes you are willing to upload.

• Upload small portions of the mesh in hopes to fulfill your needs.
    - This method will increase the amount of meshes a user has to download each time they load into the game.
    - This method is time consuming and isn’t 100% reliable.
  • Change the collision style on Roblox.
    - This method does not work on large meshes.

I’ll let you decide what is best for your needs but unfortunately Roblox hasn’t introduced a complex collision system yet. All we can do is hope and wait.

Submit a feature request or support an existing one!

1 Like

…and in the meantime split concave shapes into multiple convex ones.

One way to do achieve this is by importing the mesh no matter the collisions, and then making it Box Collision on studio, for example if it is a tree i usually just import the Log, make it uncollidable, box collision and then i start adding fake bricks inside and along the Log, so it fakes the collision that way and then you can just make it transparency = 1, it should do the job, but keep in mind that Transparency on most parts is not instanced and its perfomance intensive if you plan to copy it way too many times.

If I understood it correctly you need to make smooth slopes aka smooth terrain if im not mistaken? In that case you can use plugin called PartToTerrain ( Part to Terrain - Roblox ) in which you position your part in desired way and just convert it to terrain. Or maybe you can try the Wedged Terrain Plugin ( Wedged terrain - Roblox )

If you want to make ramps there is great plugin called BezCurve Road Creator (BezCurve Road Creator (DISCONTINUED) - Roblox). Its intended use is for making smooth curved roads by using bezier curves but it can be used for ramps like I did in my game.

For pipes you can just use standard Roblox Part Cylinder and if you need to cut it so it will look like an actual pipe with hole in the middle you can just use Negate on it

1 Like