Is there a way to script personal building servers?

Sup, I’m here just wondering if it’s possible to recreate something that Roblox removed years ago. Personal Servers allowed the user to build in a place with tools by either Roblox, or the developer of the server.

Anything you build in the place saves in studio & the game. That’s why personal servers are so fun to play with friends. Anyone know how you can recreate this? Because it was a pretty cool feature, and I’d really like to make my own building servers for my friends.

1 Like

Sorry about that, I forgot I had a saved thread for this section which prompted me here.

Yes, it is.

It is possible to create a system where people are allowed to create a private server and play either alone or with friends. You can achieve this by using Roblox Teleport Service.

Now coming to the building system, there are many articles on dev forum, and many videos that guide you to do it. You may have to apply many concepts such as Vectors, CFrames, and many other math concepts to make a working building system.

And to save builds you can use Roblox DataStore Service. While using data stores don’t forget to ensure you are not exceeding Data Store limitations.

It’s no longer possible to save builds in Studio from a place. But if you still want to implement that feature, it will be very tedious and impractical.

But, if you still want to save in studio from place, you will have to implement the method Rojo(Plugin) has done. Basically creating a plugin that saves models into studio. (Trust me, its not a good idea to save models from places to studio.)

2 Likes

Alright, so I have a few more questions,

1. how to save builds?
  2. why is it not a good idea to save models from places to studio?
  3. what does rojo do? I’ve heard of it, but i’m not entirely sure of it’s purpose.
1 Like
  1. Saving Builds is a very interesting process, its complicated, but not impossible. Many games such as Welcome to Bloxburg already have a system for it.
    Check out this article: How i can make a model data store?

2. If roblox had an API for it, I wouldn’t say its not a good idea. But it doesn’t have an API for it. Next, not all users who are going to play your game are developers or are users who use Studio. Finally, saving into studio will require you to make a plugin, and then people will have to download that plugin and then manually save that model into the studio. So its not a good idea since roblox doesn’t have an API for it and not many users are going to use that feature.

3. Rojo is a plugin that allows you to port your roblox code to external editor and vice versa. In other words, you can write your code on Visual Studio Code, and rojo will update it in studio, and you can do the same from Roblox Studio.

1 Like

See: SavePlaceAsync

Not really the same as personal servers though because you actually have to create a place using the create API before you’re allowed to use the save API. It’s about as close as you can get though, so long as you can also manage restricting such places to only one instance.

DataStores are not really your friend for the work you’re trying to do, they have a very specific implementation for building games that fit in with their systems (primarily serialisation of placed parts, rotations and positions). Arbitrary building games like legacy PBS probably aren’t the best for a DS.